Ohio-Columbus
Options

BOMA reviews

We're looking into having our reception for 150-200 guests at BOMA. Has anyone done it there? I'm especially interested in what you thought of the prices compared to other venues. I'm also interested in what any guests thought of the reception there. Thanks!!

Re: BOMA reviews

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I have not been to any weddings there, but that was the first place we looked at for ours and was not the place for us. A really cool , dark, and different space, but you would be pushing it with 200 people. On the ground floor is your dance floor and seating for about 80 people. As you go upstairs, there's bar seating and high tables which can seat about 100-120 more. They build the high tables to 6-8 deep, which does not leave much room for moving around, as most of the space up there is open and overlooks the dance floor. There's also a multi-level space for cocktail hour on the 2nd floor, which was pretty cool with a huge stained glass window behind the bar. There's also an outside patio space facing Broad St if you want cocktails there instead. Some of the things that turned us off was the separation of guests into the top and bottom floors, the upstairs is only accessible by stairs (no elevator, so because we had 1/3 of our guests over the age of 50, that was a major no), the only bathroom was upstairs, and the average pricing was way too high for us (we're expecting 180-200 people, and we were told the average was about $80-$100 per plate). Worth checking out, but consider your needs and the feel you want for your reception.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Someone posted some problems they had with BoMA on here awhile ago.  I think there was an event scheduled to start after their reception ( I think a try out for a trashy reality show), and they let people start lining up before the reception was over.  I would make them guarantee you would be the only event that day.
  • Options
    ChiMoniqueChiMonique member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I coordinated a wedding there once - while the space is really beautiful and I think very unique, the service was terrible. The B&G had paid for a full open bar and during cocktail hour, the bar staff was charging for all drinks, including plain soda! I had to go to the bar TWICE and demand that they stop charging people and then go scrounge up the BoMA event coordinator (who was very nice, but not very helpful) before the bar staff would finally stop. It was absurd, the guests were a little miffed and the B&G paid money for nothing essentially because BoMA was making a double profit.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    With 200ish people, the staff would have to clear away a bunch of tables from the downstairs seating after dinner to make room for the dance floor.  We thought that was annoying.  We didn't choose them for a variety of reasons, including the event coordinator who didn't send us our estimate when he told us he would or after repeated emails and sent it with a snotty message 3 weeks after he said he would and only after I emailed one last time and said something like, "this is my last time asking for our proposal".
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My mom had her wedding there.  First off I love the space it is beautiful.  I had to do a lot of work though to keep things together.  They didn't have things set-up on time, issues with mics not working or set up right I had to track down the sound man but it was little things the food was very good. I looked into it for my wedding and saw the price and laughed because if I am paying that much you better be on point with everything. So it had its good and its bad points but since then they have lots of different staff so that may not be the case anymore.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are actually having our ceremony at BoMA.  The space is gorgeous and very unique.  My experiences with the coordinator have been a little up and down (due to the girl I originally dealt with has now left the company, and I just loved her!).  It was an adjustment having to deal with a new person I had never met, but all in all things have gone well so far (mind you our wedding isn't until July 2010).  I have seen their menu as we were thinking about having the rehearsal dinner there, but I personally thought the menu was a little overpriced and the food isn't necessarily "normal people" friendly.  (If you know what I mean... it seems very gourmet... but some people prefer that, so whatever floats your boat!)  I know this doesn't specifically translate to your question, but I hope that helps a little!  GL! 
  • Options
    aldavisaldavis member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have booked BoMA for my wedding (May 2010). When I first looked at the price list, I thought there was no way I could afford it. Thanks to my mother-in-law and Ashley (from BoMA) working out a contract, we are able to have our wedding there. We are expecting 150+ guests and the contract including food (cash bar) is less than $8000. Since we live in TN, our mothers toured BoMA together and loved it. I have only talked with Ashley on the phone and through email, but she has been great and I suggest you give her a call if you are even considering it as a location for your wedding.
    A
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards