Hawaii

The color black..

Hey everyone! I havent been on here much the past few weeks. I'm planning my sons birthday party which is in 2 weeks. (He turns 2 on thursday!) But I just had a quick question. What do you think of the color black as a wedding color? Some people tell me its inappropriate and not a 'wedding color.' Whats your take on it?

Re: The color black..

• aliblualiblu member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think its a fine color. Some of the weddings I have been to did black and white, and someone else did Pink, Black, and White. I think its fine when used with another color. I've also seen a wedding where their colors were like Orange/Pink, but their BM wore black, and it looked really good! =)
    AliBlu | 6.8.2011 | My Bio-Updated 3/3
    Visit Maui.Weddings.com Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I think it's fine so long as there's another colour to balance it out. So... just so long as it's not black on black!
  • edited December 2011
    I think it can be very elegant and beautiful with the assumption that your flowers will be another color (white or other).
  • japnezdolljapnezdoll member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think  black is fine...we are actually planning on using black, white with a bright accent color in the flowers. My BMs will be in black dresses (knee length), but not sure about the GMs...but we are going for a more elegant, but fun look haha...if that makes sense :)  The good thing with black is you can really use any color as an accent color and it will pop out against black. 
  • inamrainamra member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wanted black as my wedding color actually...originally. DH was really against it though and my bms were too so I went with blue instead (and strongly considered silver) since those were my next 2 fav colors. But I think it's totally fine as a wedding color--but of course, I'm biased cuz I wanted it myself! =)
    Sept 2008 Wedding | May 2010 & Mar 2012 Babies
  • ~BFF~~BFF~ member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it should be fine.  My BMs are actually wearing black dresses and the GM are wearing tuxes - although originally it was going to be slacks and nice shirt.  Our colors are actually totally different and we are going for a natural, organic look with white flowers and lots of greenery with linen colored linens.  I just wanted the black dress because I always wear black and I wanted my BMs to wear their dresses again.  Here is the picture I saw that made me choose black dresses:[img]http://tiny.cc/hXaBX[/img]
  • edited December 2011
    my best friend had black as her color.... The tablecloths were black and so were our BM dresses, and the guys wore black tuxes. It definitely made the event feel more formal. Then everything else was white - programs, flowers, plates, napkins, favors, the cake, etc. It looked nice!
  • edited December 2011
    i used black and yellow as my wedding colors. i loved it! i used black chivari chairs and i even wore black shoes under my wedding dress. my bridesmaids had black, yellow and white dresses and our two groomsmen wore all black. (yes they wore all black in august at lani!) honeslty, i think it all went well together and looked great. i am horrible at posting things on here but if you would like to see photos please feel free to e mail me. ryandjenatlani09 at g mail dot com
    ryan and jennifer |august 10, 2009| lanikuhonua phase II
  • edited December 2011
    I absolutely love black as a wedding color. I think it makes everything so classy!! Will you have a second color?
  • edited December 2011
    I think traditionally, black is not a wedding color, but it is gaining more popularity and adds a modern and elegant feel to the event.  I've noticed A LOT of black bridesmaid dresses on blogs and such.  While black is not officially my wedding color, I am planning on having my bridesmaid wear a black dress and accent it with an orchid purple sash.  I'm also thinking about working black and white damask into my scheme.
  • edited December 2011
    I personally think black is incredibly classy!  Good luck with the birthday party.  I just survived my 3 year old son's party.  Kids birthday parties are nearly as hard to plan as weddings these days lol
  • edited December 2011
    I actually really like it (but DH did not!!) i think black has a very sophisticated and elegant look to it if used correctly, but it can look sad ... but i think black looks good as a theme color especially if u are having a more formal wedding =)
    KatluvsJohn
  • mzkel_reneemzkel_renee member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow! Thank you for all the responses! And yes, I was thinking of using black with either ivory or white. Maybe even using some green cymbidium orchids just to throw in a little color. I dont want it to look gothic. lol. I think I'm going for a more classy look. I will have to research black weddings. For some reason I cant find much on the knot. :(
  • mzkel_reneemzkel_renee member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh, and Beth- I'm gonna have to steal that picture!! That is adorable!!
  • ~BFF~~BFF~ member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you like that picture then you should check out these links.  http://pacificbrideguide.blogspot.com/2009/06/real-hawaiian-wedding-part-viii.htmlhttp://100layercake.com/blog/archives/1051I really like black but didn't want the feel of our event to be too modern, which can easily happen when you use black.  Try checking out some blogs: 100 Layer Cake, Style Me Pretty, Into the Now Weddings, etc.  for more ideas.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards