Hawaii
Options

Air to OGG, Watching it rise, Vent

Anyone else watching air go up? We have saved enough for five tickets, but are still short one ticket and I am so tempted to just charge the last one. Air has gone up $40 per person in the last 5 days for our wedding and with the gas prices rising it seems it may just get worse.  I just told FI I am going to stress this until we purchase these tickets but I am so against charging wedding items. UGH just had to vent. 

Re: Air to OGG, Watching it rise, Vent

• Options
    I feel you. We just purchased our honeymoon plane tickets a few days ago and the price went up $30 each. Not much but enough to warrant buying them...
    DW Siggy Challenge
    Dream Honeymoon Destination: Bora Bora

My Planning Bio *updated 04/10/12*

Visit Maui.Weddings.com
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    FSForever, It is extremely likely that flights will go down if you wait. According to your  countdown ticker, your wedding is in October, right? There are always great flight deals in September/October on Hawaiian Airlines (and all others), due to school being back in session. Usually you'll start seeing these fall deals in mid-summer. We always take vacations in the fall and from HNL to SEA we typically score tickets around $300 round trip.
  • Options
    ^ Ditto.

Tickets come back down around the end of August and go super cheap...well, cheap for going to Maui...in October. That's the low season right before the holidays and then they sky rocket back up again.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!
  • Options
    Prices are going up right now due to the cost of gas/oil.  As long as the prices go up, so will airfare.  However - prices usually magically drop a bit towards fall (when they expect less people to be traveling by car and plane).  We bought our tickets to my BFF's wedding in WI and paid off the rest of our Maui trip in July as well cause we knew the costs were going to rise with gas. 
    Photobucket Photobucket Anniversary
  • Options
    The week of the wedding is actually a shortened school week, only 3 days and they are all half days, at least for most of the Pacific NW. With the price of oil/crude going up we just can't chance the tickets going above $600. I bought FI and mine this morning because we wanted upgrades and we are getting the rest Friday. I will just feel better knowing that they are taken care of. 
  • Options

FSForever, I have been watching prices rise as well and boy is it stressful!  From what everyone is saying it should pay (or save) to wait, but I can understand wanting to check that item of the to do list.  I think I might follow in your footsteps and get that outta my hair now.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We had the opposite!  We bought ours relatively expensive and then at about the 4 month mark, the seats went on sale for really cheap.  We called the airline and they issued us a credit.  Who are you looking to fly with?

June 2012 August Siggy Challenge: Favourite Pro Pic (I couldn't choose just one!)
    imageDaisypath Vacation tickers Daisypath Vacation tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Janeash, We went with Hawaiian because they have a 10:30 am non stop flight out of Seattle, and a 3:30 non stop coming home.  Makes it easier than flying down to PDX or Cali and having a layover.  Especially when we will be bringing wedding items, my dress and oh yeah the kids. They have all flow on long flights before but I just don't want the hassle, even though some of the 1 stops were a little cheaper. 
    So glad this is checked off. FI is making dinner right now and I keep interupting him with my giddyness about the fact that it seems so real now. 
  • Options
    Congrats on booking them!  I couldn't sleep the night I booked our flights I was so excited!!
    We live in Vancouver, BC so we are flying Westjet.  Ended up getting our flights for $250+ taxes each way (nonstop).  I think it ended up being about $1200 for the two of us all in!  Not bad!

Have you booked accomm yet?  PM me if you need any recommendations!! I did a TON of research when we were booking!

June 2012 August Siggy Challenge: Favourite Pro Pic (I couldn't choose just one!)
    imageDaisypath Vacation tickers Daisypath Vacation tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I've been watching airfare like a hawk too.  We're flying from PA, so all the way from the other side of the States.  We're looking to go in Sept. and from what I'm reading above, maybe we can stand to wait 'till summer to book our flights?  I always get scared when I go on Expedia and it says "only two trips left at this price!"  Aruggh.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    FSForeverFSForever member
    First Comment
    edited March 2012
    Tacori, I looked on Priceline and Expedia and the funny thing is when you get to the point of picking seats there wasn't a lot available, almost no windows.  When I went to the airlines website there were over a hundred seats left so its what they have on sale. 
    Janeash, We booked condos at Kamaole Sands for the first week and we are HM'ing at the Royal Lahiana the second week. I am pretty excited and FI keeps asking if I'm ok. Lol Just wish it was next month, not 7 mos. from now. 
  • Options
    FSF - You will love Kam Sands!!  We stay there every time we go to Maui and love it!  We will be here in 4 months, can't wait!
    Photobucket Photobucket Anniversary
  • Options
    jtolyjtoly member
    First Comment
    We got our tickets in August and the price of them now are $300 more per ticket. I'm glad I got mine early. I guess this time of the year they tend to go up a bit. I'd say wait till the summer is over, they will prob go down.
    ~jenn~ Photobucket Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards