Hawaii
Options

Time of reception and wedding guest lodging help!

Hi everyone!! I'm a Knot newbie and must say that I am addicted to this website. It has so many great tips and vendor reviews from everyone here! loove it! Were planning on getting marry in Maui May 2012 and expecting ~20-30 guests. If we have a beach wedding then it will be perform in the morning. I was wondering what time is the dinner reception usually held? And what does your guest do in between morning ceremony and the reception? Were also thinking about renting a vacation house for the family and having the reception at that site. Does anyone have any recommendation for a 4-5 bedroom house? Thanks guys :)

~Cyn

Re: Time of reception and wedding guest lodging help!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Welcome to the board!

Whenever it is you want to have the reception is up to you. There's no appropriate point for it to start. As a guest, my personal preference is having the ceremony and the reception back to back. I have a hard time switching in and out of party mode (and attire). I like going, doing my thing and being done with the event rather than having to commit to finishing it off later in the day. Because I tend to want to be engaged in the event, be requested to put my brain on hold for several hours is a PITA.

But seriously, that's just me. I'm sure other people are more than capable of going off and doing their own thing.

Now that I think about it though... I would LOVE for a gap between a ceremony and reception to be taken up by a scavenger hunt or some kind of game. I'm pretty much a gigantic kid when it comes to that sort of thing!

I don't know about house rentals on Maui. A couple of years ago, they put in a bylaw about using residential properties as rentals and since then they have fewer houses available than other islands. Have you checked out VRBO to see what's available? We rented out a condo block at the Kahana Village - we needed 8 bedrooms for our immediate families, and that worked out really well. We got one of the buildings off to the side and held our welcome bbq there and rehearsal dinner there too. It was a great meeting point for our guests! I know they also hold weddings there as well.
  • Options
    Quicksilver12Quicksilver12 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Kaesha for all the input!! We may do a beach wedding in the morning to save on cost... Ahh so early in the day lol. I would prefer to have a wedding ceremony and reception back to back so maybe we'll have a reception brunch. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think brunch is an awesome thing - totally underappreciated. =)
  • Options
    AKWinterBrideAKWinterBride member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Take a look at Lahaina Oceanfront Estate.  I know a girl who got married there last year and the home is gorgeous and right on the beach.  Good luck!
    Photobucket Photobucket Anniversary
  • Options
    valkavalka member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I found a four bedroom house in maui on vrbo. Sleeps 10people. Let me know if you would like t link
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards