Ohio-Columbus
Options

Minor DJ Freakout...

OK, I must preface this by saying my DJ's wife had a baby on the 17th...now on with the problem....My DJ will not call me back. The last time I attempted to contact him was a week ago so we can meet to finalize our music and so we can let him know about our venue's requirements for our wedding in 33 days. My mom is calling me everyday asking if we had heard from him, and when I tell her he has not called me back, she starts freaking out, which in turn makes me very nervous that my DJ might not ever call me back, and I may have to find a new DJ. I know thats a bit over-dramatic, but I have been trying to get him to call me back for the 2 months...My florist just had a baby too about 3 weeks ago, she called me the day after she came home from the hospital to set up my design meeting with her...and I was NOT expecting to hear from her that quickly...I know how hard it is for first time parents, and I feel I am being unreasonable in my expectations to call me back sometimes, but I just want 1 little phone call to say "Yes, I am still here, we are still planning for your wedding, and I will not take your money and run..."Is my worry unwarranted??? Has someone gone thru a similar situation with any vendor?
"I will not eat fruit unless it is in loop or pebble form!" Stephen Colbert BabyFruit Ticker image image BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Minor DJ Freakout...

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I also had a "DJ-lack-of-communication-on-his-part" issue. After 3 contact attempts, I finally told him through email and his voicemail that this would be my final contact attempt. I said something like "This is my fourth and final contact attempt. If I don't hear back from you by tomorrow at (inset 24 hours from this attempt), then I will no longer need your services. Please send at least a confirmation that you have received this email/voicemail. I look forward to hearing from you and working with you soon." Since your DJ's wife just had a baby, maybe you could preface it with "I understand your family is busy right now, however I would like to schedule a time with you to go over the final details for our wedding." I'd offer you the name of our DJ just in case, but he was the worst part about my reception, so I'm pretty sure you won't want him. Good luck!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have to agree w/ pp on this. Call him or send him an email saying "I know you're busy, but I would like to speak to you about last minute arragements so I can finalize with the venue." If he feels he is holding you up from getting something else done, he may call.  Most DJs don't have a meeting to finalize, you either mail them, or email them your list and final payment, and that's it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think his lack of communication is a bit extreme, but I think you'll be fine. We didn't meet with our DJ until the last week before the wedding.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Personally I agree with some others and think that in this situation you have to be understanding. yes it's your wedding... But he just helped his significant other bring a person into the world. they have family and everyone else who they have to split their time with, i'm sure. Send him some more emails. and if nothing else figure things out yourself... the guy is contracted. He wont leave you out to dry. A lot of people dont meet with their DJ's until a week or 2 before their ceremony anyway, if at all. Ask him if you can arange stuff via email if things are too crazy on his side. Just some suggestions. Good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't think you're overreacting -- however, I also think it depends on how comfortable you are with waiting until last minute to finalize your music plans. Some people just don't like waiting a week before the wedding to finalize things, as it can be a very stressful week by then. Every bride is different which is why I'm posting my own personal opinion -- Personally, I think your DJ isn't doing his job professionally. Yes, it is understanding that he and his wife had a baby recently and he's probably very busy settling in with that. However, having a baby doesn't necessarily remove your job duties. If he did not let you know his wife was going to have a baby, and that you couldn't reach him for 2 months, that is not as understandable. I know that having a child is very important, but it doesn't take away the fact he also has a job he should be doing. If he cannot balance both of them, or at the very least return your call, what else can you expect of him? Planning a wedding is very stressful, especially when you have to deal with 10 or more different vendors that all do their job differently. Hopefully everything will settle down soon.
    Anniversary
    wedding bio
  • Options
    mamboqueenmamboqueen member
    First Comment First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I don't think you're overreacting. A week of no response is extreme. I would call/email him again and tell him honestly, "Hey, you're freaking me out. Should I be looking for another DJ?"JMHO
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks guys! I appreciate the comments (and dont worry, I needed blunt because I live in a world with a neurotic mother!!) I did feel some of my worry was useless and unreasonable, but with my mother on my back, i get all wound up!!! :) But I am convinced that it will be OK now. I will give it another week, then email him again.
    "I will not eat fruit unless it is in loop or pebble form!" Stephen Colbert BabyFruit Ticker image image BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Freckles27Freckles27 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We have the same DJ - and he hasn't responded to any of my emails for 2 months.  What's really getting me is that he will update his blog - but yet completely ignore is email?  You're not overreacting, let me know if he gets in touch with you!  I'm sure he'll come around.  He's juggling a lot, since I'll give him that.
  • Options
    jenhen13jenhen13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have the same DJ. I have had no problems getting in touch with him! He has been open and honest with me and I feel at ease with my choice in entertainment It sounds like your just a nervous bride. You need to relax and enjoy your time. Whatever you do just do not become a bridezilla! Just give him a call. I had luck after 1pm. Enjoy your wedding and relax.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards