Hawaii

Aloha and Questions! :)

Aloha fellow knotties!

I've posted a few things in the past few months, but I haven't formally introduced myself.  My name is Jen and I live on Maui.  I'm getting married at Olowalu in June of 2011.  Although it will not be a destination wedding for my fiancee's family, it will be a destination wedding for my side of the family, as I am originally from the east coast. Most of the wedding has been planned, with a few minor details that still need to be worked out...I do have a couple of questions that maybe some of you could help me with... :)

1) I do have a florist that I am working with for the wedding, but I wanted to get my leis through Costco....how far in advance should I order the leis?

2) I'm currently on the east coast celebrating the holidays with my family, and my wedding dress is going to be going back with me on Saturday when I return to the islands.  I do travel quite frequently, and I am worried about taking my dress, as it is in a large bag and takes up A LOT of room.  In my experiences in the past, most of the flights that I am on do not have a lot of room in the overhead bins, and a lot of my stuff that I usually put up there is smashed when I take it down.  I am strongly considering folding my dress and checking it in a suitcase.  I will go for another dress fitting closer to the day of the wedding, and it will also be steamed/pressed at a later date.  Do you think checking the dress is a good idea?

3) What did you do for your rehearsal?  We are going to have a rehearsal dinner, but as far as a rehearsal, I'm not so sure what we are going to do since we can't get into Olowalu the day before.  How did you handle your rehearsal? 

Okay...that's all I can think of so far, but I'm sure I will have some more questions soon!  Thank you!

Re: Aloha and Questions! :)

• AKWinterBrideAKWinterBride member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    1.  I have nothing for you on the lei's, but am interested in the answer as I am planning to do the same myself! 

2.  For your dress - do not check it if you can avoid it in any way.  If I were you, I would call the airline and see if they can finagle a spot for your dress in the first class cabin.  If you do have to check it, I would put it in it's very own suitcase and make sure that the TSA people are aware it is a wedding dress, and to please not touch the dress.  I have had a lot of problems with TSA entering my luggage and finding medication, etc. missing and I would hate for them to touch your dress with their hands when they can just x-ray the bag.  I would almost trust UPS more than I would trust the airlines with a checked dress.....

3.  For rehearsal, here is what our coordinator told us.  Since we are getting married at Olowalu, they typically have afternoon events and we are going to have to schedule out rehearsal for 8:30 or 9am (on one of the days before the wedding).  So that would be a rehearsal brunch.  Since we don't really do breakfast, we have instead asked that my future in-laws contribute to a BBQ that all of our guests can attend the day before the wedding rather than not including guests who have travelled all that way for us.  It helps us include our guests, and also relieves my in-laws from having to worry about a rehearsal brunch that my fiance and I wouldn't eat anyway. 
    Photobucket Photobucket Anniversary
  • AKWinterBrideAKWinterBride member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    PS - Welcome again!  My  name is Jen and I am getting married at Olowalu in July!  :) 
    Photobucket Photobucket Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    1.  Sorry, can't help you there.  Try calling yourself?

2.  I personally would NOT part with my dress if it can be at all avoided, but that's just me.

3.  We had a few coordinators recommend doing the rehearsal that morning so that the instructions are fresh in everyone's mind.  That didn't feel right to us so we just held the venue for 2 hours the night before as well.
  • edited December 2011
    1. Hmm I was going to say one week ahead, but you might want to do anywhere between 2-4 weeks ahead since it will be graduation season! I forgot about that being May-June ish.

2. I would avoid checking your dress at all costs! I live on Oahu and bought my dress in California when I was visiting my parents, so I took it on the plane with me. I had zero problems - the stewardess took it from me and hung it in the first class closet, I didn't even have to ask!
    If you are going to have your dress fitted and steamed anyways, it should not matter if it gets scrunched in a closet, the overhead bin or under the seat. It should be fine! I would not feel comfortable checking something like that!

3. If you can't get into the venue, you could always try having your coordinator get the info and then do it in a local park. That is what one of my friends did and it worked out fine!

Good luck, and I think I remember seeing you on here before, so welcome back :)
  • carrieoz_76carrieoz_76 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We got leis from Maui Floral via Costco, and I placed my order about a month in advance.  You can do it by email, and you don't pay until you pick them up at Costco so there's no downside to doing it a little early.  I don't think you need to do it earlier than that, though.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards