Hawaii

Luau?

So we have 72 guests coming in May to our wedding in Maui.  Our wedding is on Saturday, so Thursday we figured we would have some activities available for people to join in.  We booked a cateraman to snorkel (needed a minimum 40 people to have it private at $100/head), and it looks like we will have it filled up!  Some of the older rich guys will take off to golf...$250/round.
I was wondering if later that Thursday night, it would be worth having a pile of people attend a luau?  Would availability be an issue.  Ive been to a couple on Oahu, but we have many guests that have never been to Hawaii, and thought this would be a good show for them.  Cost looks like it would be around $100 for our guests to pay.
Any thoughts?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Luau?

• We invited guests to attend Old Lahina Luau with us. Many of our guests haven't been to Hawaii either. Every single person who has RSVPed so far (we are only waiting to hear back from 4 other guests) has signed up to attend the luau. We have front and center seating and I think it's going to be so much fun going with all of our guests.
  • We're doing a Polynesian dance and fire knife dance show at our reception to cover the luau idea for our guests, but I'd say organize it too.  A lot of people will probably want to go, and this gives the option to go and spend more time with everyone at the wedding.  

• Thx, sounds good.  We better get on it then...Id like to think we can book a big block.
    Thx again:)
  • We just got back from Maui, the Old Lahina Luau was awesome!   Not your typical fire-dancer show though.
    Anniversary
  • How much and how many people are attending right now?
  • I was told the "good" one on the west side of Maui is about $100 per person.  We have 72 guests, but think maybe 25-35 will go.
  • So how do you figure out how many people actually come to a wedding in Maui?  I know there is a formula but I am wondering how accurate it actually is.  I love the thought of a Luau reception, and like most I love the thought of a private cermony.  Mainly I just want an amazing party.
  • Holy cow - this thread is super useful!  I've PMd a few of you with specific questions that I wasn't sure were appropriate to publish publicly.

Fluff - It's hard to estimate yield, as there are so many factors.  Age and disposable income; whether or not your guests have children; how many of your guests are your parents friends who don't know you as well; etc.  I think the biggest factor is timing.  How far in advance are you telling people about it?  If they know for a year +, there's a much better chance they can plan for it than if you tell them with < 6 months notice.  Also, if your event is in the summer there's no school for kids, but it's also likely to be more expensive.  I estimate that only about 30% of my invitees will attend, but I am also having a 4.5 month engagement AND my wedding is during the school year AND at least a quarter of my invitees live on the East Coast.  I suspect that others will have many more of their invitees come.  Kimmy, you sent save the dates very early - any idea of your numbers?  
  • We booked a group of 30 for the Old Lahaina Luau and everyone absolutely loved it. Great food and all you can drink :) It was optional, we just put it on our wedding website and had our guests RSVP before the wedding. I collected everyone's money at the welcome cocktail hour. If you pay all together, you can get a group rate!

Here's what I had on my website:
    For those of you visiting Hawai'i for the first time, attending a luau is a great way to learn about the traditions of the Hawaiian culture. It makes for a fun night of entertainment, and my favorite; unlimited food and drinks! Old Lahaina Luau is an award winning production and you are sure to have a memorable experience. The following rates are available for groups of 15 or more: Adults $86.25 Children $58.12 For more information about the show and cuisine visit the link to Old Lahaina Luau's website above. If you plan on attending please RSVP prior to your departure to Hawaii so we can make the appropriate arrangements.
    andrea and ryan . june 2010 . maui.olowalu
    My Planning Bio
  • We reserved 20 seats at the "Feast of Lele" and they added an automatic 16% tip per person.  I guess its not buffet style but really, what ever happened to deals with numbers lol.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards