Hawaii

DJ or ipod at Maui private estate wedding.

Hi everyone!  I need advice on whether or not to hire a DJ or to just do an ipod with playlists for a wedding of about 40 people held in the backyard of an estate.  The only thing about the ipod is that I would need someone to run it and I feel bad asking someone to do this, but I feel like a dj for 40 people (including 10 kids) is a bit overkill...any thoughts?

Re: DJ or ipod at Maui private estate wedding.

• We got married at Olowalu and had 26 guestsand we ended up getting a DJ at the last minute when we decided we didn't want to have to come up with playlists and then have someone to  "manage" the ipod. Our DJ was awesome! Everyone loved him and he even gave us mp3s of the entire playlist so we had them for our AHR and to listen to in general. It didn't cost a ton to have a DJ and we are so glad we did.

We went with DJ Del Sol  http://www.mauiweddingdj.com/  He was so much fun and our guests loved him! He has samples of his playlists online if you are interested

Anniversary
  • edited October 2012
    I'm getting married at olowalu next Saturday with 37 guests- we opted for an DJ. I'm glad because I don't want to worry about any one having to take care of it. Plus they help keep the day running smoothly.
  • edited October 2012
    I'll get married in Olowalu next February. My guests will be 30-40 people in total. Even though I really want to save money, I still decide to hire a DJ. I didn't really interview any DJ at all. I just picked one of the more "budget-friendly" DJs from the list that my wedding coordinator gave me. (I know it may be too risky...) For me, it'll be easier to have a DJ because he can solve many potential sound related problems during the ceremony, cocktail hours and reception.

Almost all of my guests don't really like dancing, so I guess it doesn't matter so much whether the DJ can keep the dance floor full. But it'll be nice that someone can play music and help do some basic MC.  (I won't hire any musician for my ceremony.)
  • Thanks for all your feedback ladies!  I think you are all correct and I am going to have to go the DJ option so it will be stress free and smooth. Jess, I contacted DJ Del Sol and he is available so I think I might go with him :)
  • Very helpful thread! I was having the same issues/questions. For a small group I was thinking DJ was overkill, but might be worth it after hearing all the feedback.

Ringer101 - did you have the DJ just play music during the ceremony instead?

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_hawaii_dj-or-ipod-at-maui-private-estate-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:73Discussion:8926792a-c5f2-48c8-9c8f-c3e0cdde8e82Post:820d967e-ee5b-4173-9f20-52b1a6e2388d">Re: DJ or ipod at Maui private estate wedding.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Very helpful thread! I was having the same issues/questions. For a small group I was thinking DJ was overkill, but might be worth it after hearing all the feedback. Ringer101 - did you have the DJ just play music during the ceremony instead?
    Posted by Pillbug88[/QUOTE]

Hi, yes, I'll just have DJ to play music during the ceremony and he will take care of the ceremony PA system. My wedding coordinator told me that the DJ could perform live for ceremony or cocktail because he is a performer. I can NOT say how good he is because I never talk with him yet. I just completely trust what my wedding coordinator told me... (again, it's risky... but I'm not expecting much for a DJ, so I guess I'll be fine...)  
  • We hired a DJ for our 40 person wedding and had zero regrets.  We used Dan Viola (DJ Dan) and he was awesome!  We had him to the following:

- Ceremony music
    - Ceremony audio (mics for officiant & us)
    - Cocktail hour music
    - Minor MC duties for reception (eg, introducing speeches)
    - DJ reception
    - Provide screen & play slideshow/movie

He did everything flawlessly, and was great at altering the music for the mood & occaision.  It was also nice to just be able to outsource certain decisions, like not having to choose what song to use for the Mother/Son dance -- he suggested a few and we just picked one.

A number of girls here have used iPods and been fine, but it does involve preparing some lists, having someone wander over & change things up, possibly move speakers around if your ceremony & reception move around, etc.  Not a major issue, but just one more thing to think about.  If you can afford it in your budget, I thought a DJ was well worth it.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards