Hawaii

Dress me, what to wear

Being that we've never been to Hawaii before, what kinds of things should we pack?  Is it pretty much always shorts and tank top weather, maybe a light hoodie and jeans in the evening?    We'll be there for 8 days, probably doing a bunch of different things.  Should we be able to get by with mostly casual clothes?  We aren't the type that go clubbing or out to fancy dinners for the most part.  Mainly just hit up bars in the evening, sightsee in the daytime.

Re: Dress me, what to wear

• edited December 2011
    seeing where you are from, i'd say you could get by with shorts and tanks all the way! i like to have a light sweater on hand (i get cold easily) for after dinnertime...It's definitely not a dressy place, unless you decide to go to some swanky type bar. Usually you can get away with a cute top, nice sandals, etc! Very laid back clothing.
  • AKWinterBrideAKWinterBride member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

Yes, shorts, tank tops, sundresses, swimsuits!!  You will not need jeans, I have never been tempted to put on any pants any time I have ever been there and I get really cold easily.  I would bring a hoodie maybe if you are scared of being cold, but I am a known over packer and I have always bought a pair of jeans, and a sweatshirt - and have never worn them. 

Photobucket Photobucket Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I thought LA was casual. Hawaii is VERY casual. I agree with the ladies above...if you decide that you're doing 1 nice dinner or club then bring 1 nice outfit. But I'd say be comfy casual.
  • fabutanfabutan member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Totally agree with what everyone has said so far...  Admittedly, I wore jeans a couple times in Hawaii, but that's probably because I'm quite heat tolerant and get cold easily!  I always wore short-sleeves though...  

Skirts are also a great way to keep cool.  If you're on a resort or plan to visit some fine dining restaurants, it might be a good idea to pack a few nicer outfits.  Dressing colorfully matches the tropical setting!  I love wearing floral prints and light colors - avoid black or dark colors if you're concerned about heat.

• carrieoz_76carrieoz_76 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I brought: two sundresses (one casual, one nice), a couple pair of khaki shorts, about 5 tank tops (one nice, the rest normal), a jersey skirt, 2 swimsuit coverups, 3 swimsuits, 2 flip flops, Tevas, tennis shoes, a pair of nice sandals, and just in case - one pair of capris, one hoodie, and one lightweight jacket (that I never wore).  

If I were doing it again, I'd bring mostly the same stuff, but maybe another pair of shorts, another casual sundress, and maybe I'd have traded out one or two tanks with short-sleeve shirts - sometimes you want to cover up to avoid burning (or, in my case, burning more).
  • edited December 2011
    yes hawaii is very casual.. people even go out in shorts and semi-cute tops and it works.  You see the gamut, but honestly you can get away with so much more.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards