Hawaii

New to this board

Hi ladies!!

I am new to this board not theknot.com.

My name is Crystal :)

After much talk with my FI...we have decided to have our wedding in Hawaii. We previously were thinking of getting married in NH where we reside at a typical venue but after looking over a few places, discussing guest list and running numbers we have decided to get married in Hawaii. I have always dreamed of a huge wedding with ALL of our family/friends but we are paying for our wedding ourselves and instead of going into debt to pay for our wedding. We would rather put the cost towards other things like a down payment on a house.

I have been browsing topics posted by other knotties and I have now fallen in love with the idea of getting married in Hawaii.

Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. I will be posting when I can. Hopefully I can read each of your post and get some ideas and have some of my many million questions answered. I have no idea where to even begin.

Thanks in advanced to everyone!! and Congratulations
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: New to this board

• Welcome and congrats on your engagement!!  You will find the folks on this board very helpful and friendly.  Let us know once you have an island picked and how many guests you will have and we  can more easily help you. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Congratulations! Welcome to the board...

I am from New Hampshire too!! We moved out here to Hawaii for my FI's work in January. You will love it! I am really missing NH this time of year though so enjoy it for me!

I would first decide what island you want to get married on. Oahu is a little easier for guests to get to, but Maui is only about a 30 minute flight from here. Personally we chose Maui, Oahu is way too busy for us and you may find that you feel that way as well (being from New Hampshire!). Oahu has lots of buildings and people-- very developed. We chose Maui because it's less busy, more laid back, and not as crowded. Also very beautiful! Check out this site to decide what island... it's very helpful explaining all the differences: http://www.gohawaii.com/

We also are paying for everything ourselves... it does add up! Keep in mind Hawaii prices are much higher than in New Hampshire so you can't necessarily compare pricing. But it is possible to find deals and still have a nice wedding.

Let us know how we can help- We are getting married in Maui next month but we live on Oahu so I know a bit about this island too
  • Congratulations on welcome to the board!  We decided to have our destination wedding in Hawaii as we wanted our really close friends and family there......not the usual co-workers and other acquintenances you feel obligated to invite when in your own city.

n Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_hawaii_new-to-this-board?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:73Discussion:e9cf42a2-e2d9-48dc-bdee-c9d0b01d8bb5Post:21a5ef56-bf2b-46a9-943e-e4af1ce8effc">Re: New to this board</a>:
    [QUOTE]Congratulations! Welcome to the board... I am from New Hampshire too!! We moved out here to Hawaii for my FI's work in January. You will love it! I am really missing NH this time of year though so enjoy it for me! I would first decide what island you want to get married on. Oahu is a little easier for guests to get to, but Maui is only about a 30 minute flight from here. Personally we chose Maui, Oahu is way too busy for us and you may find that you feel that way as well (being from New Hampshire!). Oahu has lots of buildings and people-- very developed. We chose Maui because it's less busy, more laid back, and not as crowded. Also very beautiful! Check out this site to decide what island... it's very helpful explaining all the differences: <a href="http://www.gohawaii.com/" rel="nofollow">http://www.gohawaii.com/</a> We also are paying for everything ourselves... it does add up! Keep in mind Hawaii prices are much higher than in New Hampshire so you can't necessarily compare pricing. But it is possible to find deals and still have a nice wedding. Let us know how we can help- We are getting married in Maui next month but we live on Oahu so I know a bit about this island too
    Posted by knockout7075[/QUOTE]
  • edited October 2012
    Thanks ladies!!

FI and I have decided we would like a more intamite setting and our wedding will just consist of us two.

I am looking to have our ceremony done on the beach and then a nice dinner at a restaurant.

The reason why we picked Hawaii honestly is so that we can have our ceremony and our honeymoon all in one. We both feel so obligated to have our co-workers, friends parents, cousins, aunts and uncles attend so we said heck with it, lets just you and I go somewhere and we decided on Hawaii since we both have never been.

So, ladies I hope your ready for bunch of questions and my need of your assistance!! Thank you all in advanced! Can't wait to hear from you all and your ideas and suggestions!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I love that it will be just you two! We are only having 6 people join us and it's a major pain! In terms of wedding services, Maui has more private beaches than Oahu, so it will feel more secluded and intimate. There are also some amazing restaurants in Maui. If we had time we would have gotten married on Maui and then island hopped to Kauai for part of our honeymoon. Unfortunately, FI can only get a weekend off so we are just settling with going to Maui for 2 nights. Let us know how we can help!
  • Welcome to the board!  Before you get too public, you may want to consider creating a new screen name and starting over.  Given you listed your first name in this post and your future last name in your screen name, it is entirely possible for people to find you.  Not sure how worried you are, but the internet can be a scary place.  If you do want to do that, I can delete this thread for you, too -- just let me know.  :)  Feel free to send me a private message if you want to discuss further.

Can't wait to hear about your plans!  A number of brides here have eloped and had lovely, small, barefoot-on-the-sand ceremonies.  Ask away and we'll try our best to help!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards