Hawaii

So I've fallen in love with SR

Ever since MauiDandy's post with her wedding video I have fallen in love with Studio Red.  I wasn't considering a videographer.  But I know that there will be some older relatives that wold like to see the wedding who can't make it.  So I'm reconsidering.  I've looked at some other videographer sites but none of them could compare to SR in my mind.  I mean almost every video on SR's website makes me grab a tissue. 

So I'm wondering if MauiDandy and any other brides who have dealt with SR can give me your reviews and thoughts.  They have such great quality videos that I'm afraid they will be out of my budget.  At this point I need to figure out what my budget is.  Can anyone give me a rough idea of what their packages cost?  Any recommendations for other videographers? 

I would like to cover the ceremony, and reception and perhaps some getting ready footage.  I'm not even sure what a decent budget is... hmmm.... $2K?

Re: So I've fallen in love with SR

• dianalynmdianalynm member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd say $2k is a good price for full day coverage :)

Like I've recommended to other brides, I like Philip Lemoine over at Supreme Video Productions. He'll be our videographer. And he has done a wedding at Olowalu, so he's familiar with the venue...

He's here: svp-studio.com

Let me know what you decide! :)
    DW Siggy Challenge
    Dream Honeymoon Destination: Bora Bora

My Planning Bio *updated 04/10/12*

Visit Maui.Weddings.com
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I'm right there with you motoLyn! I wasn't even planning on having a videographer until I saw some of their work. Now I have my mind set on adding whatever it takes to the budget to get them. 

My only other problem is that since we're going through a resort they have a vendor list that we're supposed to use. I'm still waiting for it, but since it's Kauai I don't think they'll be on it :(
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • mauidandymauidandy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We booked the "Essentials Collection," which I believe was the cheapest package? It was $2,408 and included 6 hours of coverage and 2 cinematographers. Since we flew them over from Oahu, we also paid $558 in travel costs, so the grand total was almost $3,000.

Kristy and Joel are the sweetest people and were really easy to work with. We met Kristy in Oahu for drinks during our scouting trip and loved her immediately. They are very buttoned up, and came early to scope out the venue and plan out the video shoot. They have the most amazing equipment....Joel wore a camera attached to a harness on his body for all those gorgeous sweeping camera shots. We barely noticed them during the day of the wedding and they caught everything! They even stayed until the very end, to capture the dancing and the sparklers when we made our exit.

They told me it would be 5-6 months to receive the video, but it ended up being more than one year. I was pretty upset on our one year anniversary night when I still didn't have the video that they promised (many times) I would receive by then. Apparently they said they loaded the video to the website and that I should have received the link, but I didn't. We ended up being able to access it a couple days later, and received our DVDs in the mail a few days after that.

All that being said, they were worth every penny. We definitely went over budget to hire them and I'm SO GLAD that we did. The video is a treasure, I think I have watched it 100 times since we got it and I cry every time. They are truly gifted!
    andrea and ryan . june 2010 . maui.olowalu
    My Planning Bio
  • motoLynmotoLyn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    @diannalynm- That is a great site, I've sent them an inquiry and I guess I shall see what they say.

@MauiDandy- Besides getting married at Olowalu, I didn't really have anything else that was on my MUST list, till now.  Hahaha... I just want to book Studio Red so badly that its pretty funny to me.  Thank you for the information.  I know I will definitely go over budget if I end up booking them.  I have been on budget so far and perhaps a little under budget and so proud of myself.  I guess I shall see what happens.  I just might consider paying for SR out of my own personal savings if it comes to that.
  • edited December 2011
    YAY!  I love hearing about all the SR fans.  It's no secret that I adore them as well.  :)  Joel and Kristy are an amazing team -- Kristy is the audio, the details, and the "sniper" of the key moments while Joel is all of the art & drama of the unique angles and sweeping pans.  They are just wonderful and create beautiful films together.  I have yet to see our video (and gosh I hope it does not take 1 year) but I am confident they were worth every single penny.

I don't know what 2012 prices look like, but SR had packages starting at $1600 for 4 hours of coverage in 2011 (2011 rates provided to me in 2010, not including tax or travel) which included bridal prep & ceremony only.  However, a Same Day Edit ($1200) or highlight film ($600) is a separate charge on top of that.  And the prices for more covereage increase from there.  Personally, I thought they were worth it -- they showed up at our rehearsal to plan with us, shot footage of the rehearsal, shot footage of the venue prep, shot all day during the wedding, and even stayed late since our schedule changed and some of the speeches / events were later in the night.

Overall, they are just a wonderful team to work with.  My one point of caution is to NOT be scared away by the front office.  DH and I had some frustrations working with the new assistant that was hired late in 2010, to the point we almost went in a different direction, but I am so, so glad we did not let her discourage us.

Hope that helps!
  • tiggy5555tiggy5555 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wish I hadn't have spent an hour on their site watching videos because now when its back to reality and my budget will not bend for them...everything else is just blah!!!

They are amazing!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image139 Were invited to paradise!
    image 39 Are ready to party!
    image 100 Are stuck on the mainland!
    image 0 Need to check their mail!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards