Hawaii

Questions about your Wedding Parties!

Are you having one? How many people do you have on your side? How long have you known them? Are they all women? Any drama you want to share?Tongue out

Re: Questions about your Wedding Parties!

• edited December 2011
    hahaha. can't share the DRAMZ on here.

but, i had 4 girls. 2 (now) SILs, and 1 matron of honor, 1 maid of honor. and 1 honorary bridesmaid (one of her best friend's got married the day before us in NYC, so she landed in HI at 1pm and didn't have enough time to get dressed before pics, etc).

i've known SILs for ~13 years, MaidOH for ~8, MatronOH for ~4, and honorary BM for ~4.

one of my best friends is DH's older brother, so he was a best man on that side (along with DH's oldest brother). we also had my bro, and 2 of our other guy friends.
  • AKWinterBrideAKWinterBride member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well, we initially weren't going to have a wedding party, but then we kind of felt like we should have our siblings.  And then I wanted my BF to be my MOH.  So, I have 2 bridesmaids (FI's sisters) and my BF is my MOH.  My FI is going to have 2 groomsmen (my brother and his BIL), but he's not having a best man.  We are a bit lopsided but it's our wedding and we don't care! 
    Our niece and nephew are going to be our flower girl and ring bearer.  Our nephew, who is 4, is really excited about his bear outfit, I think he thinks he is going to be wearing a bear costume! 
    Photobucket Photobucket Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Since we're having just immediate family as our guests, we aren't having a wedding party. Plus it helps avoid a lot of the drama (hopefully).

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    We have 3 girls and 3 guys.

Girls - Originally I had asked 5. One girl moved to Japan and was unable to get the time off, totally understandable. I would never want someone to plan their life around me! I had two MOHs (one was matron and one was maid), and the matron can't make it, dramz I don't want to get into! I am bummed because I've known her the longest but oh well, the people who will be there will make it great! So Maid of Honor is my bff from high school, then I have FSIL and a close college gal pal.

Boys - FI has his two cousins and one of his close friends. My youngest brother was supposed to be a GM but DRAMA! yay. He is not coming to the wedding and has chosen to separate himself from our family, weird. But I am glad I don't have to deal with him on my big day!

I LOVE the people we will have with us :)
  • mocha beansmocha beans member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had two on each side, my MOH and BM, his BM and GM.  We stuck to genders.  And thankfully, no drama!  It went off without a hitch!
  • carrieoz_76carrieoz_76 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our sides were even by accident, and not by design.  I followed the advice of a good friend who encouraged me to go with my heart and pick the friends I was most likely to still be close to me in 10 years, which is how I ended up with my 3 BM - they're the girls I've been friends with for 15 years, so I expect we'll stay friends much longer.  Because the four of us are all close friends, I decided not to have a MOH - there'd have been no picking among them.

I had almost no drama with my BMs.  The only thing out of the ordinary was that they preferred to throw a b-party, rather than a shower.  Some of my local friends threw me a shower, though, and both the shower and b-party were great.

Everything actually ended up much smoother than we'd thought it would be, and I have to say that we both feel like we ended up stressing less because when anything seemed like it might go awry, we tried to do for our friends what we would have liked done for us if we were in their shoes.
  • edited December 2011
    We are skipping the wedding party!
    We are only having our immediate family, so 11 people will be at the wedding. We felt like if were had a wedding party, even if it was our sisters and brothers, there would only leave like 5 people in the audience! :)
    We are happy that we don't have to deal with the drama and everything that comes along with the wedding party!
  • embracejoyembracejoy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No wedding party for us!  We'll only have 22 people with us at the wedding, wanted to keep it totally simple and easy, and I already did the 5 bridesmaids thing at my first wedding.  Didn't have much drama that time either, but no bridesmaids at all is even easier! haha
    we got it right the second time around! ten.twenty.twenty-ten. Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I had my two quasi-cousins as BMs, and Phil had my brother, his brother and his best friend stand up with him. We were relatively drama free (except for his brother inviting a random guest along).
  • licia9880licia9880 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We started out planning just a MOH and BM, however, our  party has grown! We now have six on each side, but we are planning a larger wedding.

I have my sister as my MOH, four of my best friends, and his sister. He has his brother as BM, my brother, and four of his close friends. There has been a little drama, but nothing unmanagable so far.
  • Lani808Lani808 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I won't have a wedding party, since its a very intimate reception and ceremony....  We decided on just having a RB and FG.  My best friend and her fiance will be our witnesses.  

I've been a BM for 5 weddings.  I noticed more drama with more people.  Gathering a huge party for photos was always hectic. 

I'm getting several people trying to change my mind about having an entourage.  ahhhhhh.  

• embracejoyembracejoy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_hawaii_questions-wedding-parties?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:73Discussion:f5989075-d93c-4fb5-a245-9319b38368ffPost:96d345f7-e82b-4bc4-bf17-3c71f4fb90ec">Re: Questions about your Wedding Parties!</a>:
    [QUOTE] I've been a BM for 5 weddings.  I noticed more drama with more people.  Gathering a huge party for photos was always hectic.    
    Posted by Lani808[/QUOTE]

This is why we didn't want to do the wedding party thing.  I've been a BM in 7 weddings, and all but one of them was a dramatic, logistical nightmare.

Stick to your guns, Lani!  If you don't want a bridal party, you don't have to have one!
    we got it right the second time around! ten.twenty.twenty-ten. Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards