Hawaii
Options

Road to Hana in Maui, is it worth it if we are visiting Big Island?

Hi Girls,

For those of you who have already been to Maui, I'm trying to figure out if we should do the road to Hana or spend the day exploring all the different beaches instead. A coworker just came back from Maui and said that she thinks I should skip the road to Hana if we are going to the Big Island because we will see similar sceanary, including waterfalls etc. Should we skip this or do you think it's a must see? FI was leary about it in the first place because what we've read about the roads being crazy. Thoughts? Thanks! One month from today I marry my hot stuff! Cant wait, so close.

Re: Road to Hana in Maui, is it worth it if we are visiting Big Island?

• Options
    Funny FH and I had this conversation last night. He and my daughter both get car sick and I suggested months ago that we just skip it and do our own exploring. 
    I am excited to see the ideas on this one. 
    We are so close Allison!
  • Options
    How many days do you have for activities like this in Maui?

I haven't been there yet but judging by what the locals on Oahu say... When you go to Maui, you need to do the road to Hana. They say that it's like driving in two different places because when you start the scenery is one way and then it completely changes. It is VERY curvy so if you get car sick (or if you are hungover) I would skip it!

But that being said, it really looks amazing and the locals on Oahu rave about it. I think that means it must be good because the locals here don't really "rave" about anything,

Read some of the reviews on TripAdvisor and look at some of the pictures people have posted. You don't want to leave Maui and regret not going!
  • Options
    I knowwwwww we are so close, today is one month from wedding date and 25 days until we leave! YIKES!!!! I also get car sick if i'm not driving.... this is tough. We have a very limited amount of free time while in Maui so we are trying to pick the best activities, even if that includes just visitng beaches.
  • Options
    It sounds like you should skip the road to Hana... If you are limited on time it will take a full day. If you feel like you missed it after your trip you can always go back for an anniversary trip :)
  • Options
    I am somewhat biased because I got engaged at the waterfalls at the end of the road to Hana.... ;-P but with that said, it is an ALL DAY trip, and it can be quite exhausting, and depening on how busy the road is, it can also become frustrating.  The drive isn't really an easy one.  I have done it two different ways- once on our own, and once through a small bus tour (about 15 people, where lunch was included).  In my opinion, the tour was MUCH better, because they knew exactly where to stop, and took us to some amazing places (let's face it, there is so much to see on that road, you will never see it all).  The tour stopped for lunch then continued around the other side of the island (where rental cars cannot go) and then we stopped at the winery before the end of our trip. However, if it were me, and my time was limited on the island, I would probably spend my time exploring other things.  It is definitely a sight to see, but you have to be willing to spend a good LONG day doing it. 
  • Options
    I get car sick but the road to Hana was awesome and worth the drive! Hana is the most beautiful place on Maui, and Maui is amazing!
  • Options
    Unless you're doing it as a tour as PP has said, I would skip it.  My opinion is biased in the opposite direction, we went during a 3 month drought so the waterfalls were almost non existant. We did enjoy Black Sand Beach and seeing the mongoose, but I wouldn't waste a whole day just to see those.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    In my opinion the Road to Hana is the MOST BEAUTIFUL road trip you will ever take. I have been to Big Island, Kauai, and Maui, and the Road to Hana I will definitely be doing again. I recommend getting the guide book Maui Revealed, and finding the secret spots. It does take all day, but it is so worth it, especially if you like hiking a bit to find your very own secluded spot next to a waterfall. We did the drive backwards (counter clockwise) and had a Jeep, but honestly the road isnt that terrible. I would never recommend doing this with a tour bus, you would miss so much. Of all of the places in Hawaii, this is definitely my favorite.
  • Options
    The Road to Hana is an incredibly gorgeous drive. I have done it twice. If you are going to do it I recommend getting the GyPSy guide

http://www.gypsyguide.com/maui/where/road_to_hana.php
    Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_hawaii_road-to-hana-in-maui-is-it-worth-it-if-we-are-visiting-big-island?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:73Discussion:f5afc49a-a665-4a0f-a317-8c7e1d16043aPost:8a421923-5eb1-4e02-b5ed-f7992ef69826">Re: Road to Hana in Maui, is it worth it if we are visiting Big Island?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Unless you're doing it as a tour as PP has said, I would skip it.  My opinion is biased in the opposite direction, we went during a 3 month drought so the waterfalls were almost non existant. We did enjoy Black Sand Beach and seeing the mongoose, but I wouldn't waste a whole day just to see those.
    Posted by MrsKathyC[/QUOTE]

We would back up what MrsKathy said.  Starting off your honeymoon by driving the road to Hana or "Divorce Highway" yourself is probably not the best idea.  We want everyone to experience the road to Hana in any way they can.  You don't want to start your marriage by spending the day commenting on your partner's driving skills.  You will both want to enjoy the day and relax. 

As a tour company we, of course, believe that taking a tour is the most relaxing and best way to go.  The driver & guide puts what you see in perspective and lets you relax fully.  We take special care of honeymooners cause we believe that our tour is part of your whole Hawaiian experience and we want to make sure you remember it fondly for the rest of your marriage.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards