Alabama

What should I expect to pay for photos?

I have been looking at budget generators online and wanted to know if they are accurate for average photography costs. http://www.elegala.com/go/planning_tools/view/wedding_cost_search/If you don't mind sharing, what did you pay or are paying for your wedding photography? What did you get with that price.  I found that in Alabama the average price seems lower than the national average. 

Re: What should I expect to pay for photos?

• edited December 2011
    I paid $995 for 8 hours of unlimited photos plus copyrights.
  • edited December 2011
    We are paying almost three grand for a 2 hour engagement shoot, 8 hours on the day off, a five hundred dollar album credit, and a disk with all our wedding images (with rights to them).For me, the pictures are THE absolute place to splurge.  It is the only thing that 30 years from now, you will still have and be able to look at often.  Do you really want to look back and not love your photos?
  • deputysbridedeputysbride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm with PP...my photographer is kind of crazy expensive (about $5000) but his stuff is AMAZING and that's the one thing you'll always have after the wedding. The flowers will wilt, the food will be eaten, your dress will go in to storage, but the pictures will be around for generations so I definitely wanted them to be as good as possible! I don't know where you are, but check out www.markbroadway.com He's the best! Also, he has several different packages available for different price levels. Mine includes the rehearsal dinner, the entire wedding day, engagement photo session, a book of our photos (not just an album, but a book where the pics are actually printed on the pages like a store bought picture book or something), a credit for prints, a "preview party" with wine and finger foods to invite our families to when the proofs and all are ready. He puts together a whole show with music and all and provides food and drink and all kinds of fun stuff! I think there's more, but I don't remember everything...I booked him 13 months before the wedding because he's kind of hard to get! Anyway, I don't know if this is similar to other photographers, but to me it was an awesome package with amazing photography. Sorry to ramble! Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    I paid $2100 for 10 hours of wedding day photography, engagement session, print credit, leather bound magazine style wedding album, etc.  We also get every single photo copyright released on a CD(s).  I'd say one of the most important things to look for (in my opinion and as a photographer myself) is for all photos on a copyright released CD.  This will save you TONS in the long run, because you can then get your own photos printed on a site like mpix or shutterfly yourself, rather than paying $10+ for a 5x7, you'll get one for 50 cents...you can also make your own photo books at places like mpix or blurb.  Some photographers try to charge $300-500 for a leather bound photo album...having the photos yourself will allow you to make albums for yourself and your family members for $100 or less...As for price...it can vary greatly from photographer to photographer.  You definitely have to look at your priorities and look for someone with a style you like and a price that fits in your price range.Photography for me was one thing I was willing to spend a lot on...and really...I would have paid even more than we did, if I had to.  I used Mike Ross http://www.mikerossphotography.com/- he is willing to travel around Alabama and was one of the few photographers I found with a style I liked but extremely reasonable prices.  Remember - you get what you pay for...so opting for the cheapest photographer isn't necessarily the best.  Photos are something you'll have forever.If you are interested in Mike Ross - I haven't got my pro wedding pics back, but I have engagement photos in my bio and you can see a lot of photos on his site as well.Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    I'm in Mobile and it seems the cheapest I can find is around $1500 - 2000 for unlimited photo time and copyrights to the pictures.I'm struggling myself to find a photog and photos for a decent price.
  • edited December 2011
    Ladybug - who did you use? Where in AL are you?
  • edited December 2011
    I'm paying 950 (but she's gone up since I booked her) for 8 hours of photography. Most of the places I looked though were AT LEAST 1500. Choose the photographer for the pictures and personality though.
  • edited December 2011
    Lady bug and I are both using Claire Drummond. LOVE HER, and she travels for a small fee.
  • Diamond_DollDiamond_Doll member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're paying $3500 for engagement pics, bridal pics, wedding day coverage, album, parents albums, and cd with rights. I would definitley recommend finding a photographer who offers a cd. That will save you tons of money on prints.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks HB...Yep Tomkat, I am using Claire Drummond. Check her out!
  • edited December 2011
    Oh and my wedding will be in Selma, but like HB said, she travels all over.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm paying $1500. This includes: Unlimited hoursEngagement shootComplete wedding coverage: getting ready, family and group portraits, ceremony, reception, etc.Online galleryWeb hosted moviePhoto essay narrated by the bride and groom$5.00 gift credit to all friends and family members pre-registered to view the photos on the galleryCoupons for free 5x7 print for everyone in the wedding party50 take away prints at the wedding for guestsSlide show at the receptionCoupon for $600 off of any wedding books you purchaseI agree that you should splurge on photography if on nothing else.
  • edited December 2011
    We paid about $3500 for a package (which includes CD and rights to pictures) from Emily Kicklighter.  She lives near Birmingham but traveled to Montgomery for a small fee.  Fabulous photo-journalistic photos as well as some standards...PLUS she is a super nice person to work with and really worked hard to get great shots.  www.emilykicklighter.com to see some of her work. 
  • edited December 2011
    if you havnt found a photographer, i am in mobile and i am using jessika reynolds! i paid $800 for before, during and after on the day of, a digitally enhanced cd with all pictures so i can print what i want, and a personalized spiral bound memory book! she also did my engagement pics for $75 but she has different packages so that can be included. you can look her up at pbjess.com!
  • edited December 2011
    Allow us to quote your wedding.  www.angimages.com We are located in Huntsville, we are affordable and will travel.
  •  SHARP FOCUS SHARP FOCUS member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am a professional photographer. I just started my own business in Oct 2009. My rates are low right now while I build my customer base and portfolio. If you call from this email, I will offer you engagement photos 2hr session, full wedding day photos plus reception 8hr max. Plus unlimited shooting and all photos coyright released on 2 cd's unedited for $700.00 w/2 photographers.
    Please visit my website for more information on pricing.
    http://www.rubyrudiphotography.com
    email: rubyrudiphotography@gmail.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards