Alaska

Save The Date Ideas

We're getting married in 7 months, and I need to get the STD's out soon. Anyone have good ideas, or websites that might have cheap shipping? Alaska is so expensive to ship to. Also, I need help finding a venue that will hold 300 people without breaking the bank. Help?
imageAnniversary

Re: Save The Date Ideas

• edited December 2011
    For the std, my fiance and I used our own pictures that we took of Alaska's landscape and made them into postcards through Zazzle. They look really awesome! As for a venue that big, I'm not sure cause ours is around 100. I think Alyeska would hold that many people, though.
  • tamaralenaetamaralenae member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I made my save the dates and my invites with Heritage Makers. You can custom make ANYTHING, and it's wayyyyy reasonable! They are super high quality, and can even direct ship them for you! You just upload your guest list. They all come with what they call "velvet" envelopes also. So nice!
    http://www.heritagemakers.com/481952
    PM me if you have questions!!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • tamaralenaetamaralenae member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Forgot to mention I'm making our custom guest book, wedding albums, thank you cards, everything with Heritage Makers. I just found them and have already ordered ton of stuff already. I'm so impressed.

Forgot to answer the location question also. It's so hard here, I totally agree. Everything is so expensive. We are CRAMMING ourselves (130 guests) into a reception hall that usually holds 80-100....we went there and set the whole thing up about 3 different ways and finally found a way to set the tables that might work. I'm still stressed about it though, but nowhere else we could afford! Even so, there's hardly any locations to choose from! Alyeska would be good, but I believe they are fairly expensive, as are all the hotels. ugh!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • edited December 2011
    thasnks.. yeah we're trying to find maybe a church gym or somthing, which sounds kinda lame but im pretty creative i think i could come up with decor ideas, the problem there is 1-no alcohol(which half my guests care abotu half don't, me and FI don't care one bit) but the most important thing is a lot of churches don't allow dancing! :( this to me is extremly important. so we'll keep looking.. it's startign to stress me a tad though, cause i have 7 months, i need to book my venue! :(. I will def DEF check out heritage makers thanks tam!
    imageAnniversary
  • dco324dco324 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I bought white postcards at Office Depot.  They were about $20 for 200 and we will use others for thank yous.  The postage is also cheaper than a regular card.  I found a template online and printed them at home.  We sent out 65 for less than $40 (including postage).

As for venue-are you looking in Anchorage or outside Anchorage?

A hint for shipping-I've saved over $150 having things shipped to family in the lower 48 who re-box it in flat rate boxes.  If you have someone who can do it and is willing, it's a great option.  
    I married my best friend on July 8, 2011
  • edited December 2011
    awesome ideas, inside anchorage or the valley or eagle river would be great. I went to the omalley on the green expo today, and got an idea for having the reception at the alaska native heritage center. I'm going to call them tomorrow.
    imageAnniversary
  • sethandmaiasethandmaia member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had the same problem. There aren't a ton of great venues for big weddings in Anchorage. Here are some of the options I came up with:
    Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    Costco Online - you can custom make your Save the Date photos for $15 for 50!
  • sethandmaiasethandmaia member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We ordered ours from Magnet Street -- prices weren't terrible. I think we ended up spending about $250 for 200 STDs. 
  • edited December 2011
    Have you tried the Danaina center or the Eagan Center?  Those are pretty large venues...
  • edited December 2011
    I went to the local Walmart and found some post cards of Juneau that I liked they where $.11 cents each for 100.  Then purchase some printable package labels and have added my own poem to print from my computer. They where $5.50 for 60 so I had to buy two.  So I have spent $22 for 100.  One cost effective way to invite.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards