Alaska

I want a cheap/student type caterer to grill for us

We're having a garden wedding for about 80 people and we want to have salmon caught by our family, and moose meat burgers from game hunted by friends with a  BBQ style plated dinner, which won't be too hard to do, we just don't want to be the ones to do it. Any ideas how to find someone that wants to grill for 80 people without it being a big catering company that will charge us too much for something we want to keep simple?

Re: I want a cheap/student type caterer to grill for us

• dco324dco324 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Try craigslist.  I'd recommend making sure they have some experience cooking for large groups.  Even though burgers aren't too hard to make, add in the factor of cooking for 80 and you've got the potential for complications.
    I married my best friend on July 8, 2011
  • tamaralenaetamaralenae member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with previous post...but you could also try posting on boards at the Culinary school at the university. I was a photography student at UAA, and there were constantly people posting on bulletin boards in the art department wanting students to do work for experience, and cheap!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • edited December 2011
    If you want an actual caterer who is laid back and has a mobile grill, I would suggest Master's Catering. I've had wonderful experiences with them and I plan to use them for my wedding. The owner is super nice and down to earth. They are great with the BBQ style event. Their website it pretty informative too. I just found it yesterday and was impressed.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm going with Master's Catering too and have been very pleased so far. Their prices are the best I could find and you get more food than with other caterers. (For example, we're getting a bbq chicken breast, 3-4 pork ribs, baked beans, potato salad, a dinner roll, a veggie kabob, and soda or water bottles plus all the cutlery for about 26$ per person.) 

I'm sure they could give you an even lower price if you supplied them with the salmon and moose meat. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards