Delaware

Another DE bride here!

I thought I would finally say hello to everyone.  I've been lurking for several months now.

My FI and I have been together for almost 2 1/2 years now and he proposed in July.  I'm from Philadelphia, he's from Wilmington, and we now live in Annapolis.  We've decided on getting married in Wilmington.  The date is 10/02/10.

I've been slowly getting myself in gear.  We've got the church, hall, photographer and my dress!  Those were the things I considered the most important to get done quickly.  And I thank all of you for the reviews I've read on here.  I'm taking a break until after the holidays and then it's on to flowers, cake and limo!

Thanks again for your reviews thus far.  I look forward to reading more.

PS: I was hesitant to start posting here because, honestly, on some of the other boards, the girls are down right nasty!  You all are very sweet and helpful towards each other!

Re: Another DE bride here!

• edited December 2011
    Welcome!  I'm not getting married in DE, but I live in DE.  The ladies on this board are very helpful.  I've been majorly stalling the last few weeks and have to get my butt in gear and go see some florists.  I'm not really looking forward to it...
  • Dnyce7282Dnyce7282 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi,

Congratulations and good luck in planning but it seems like you're off to a good start. I am from Philadelphia too but my FI & I just moved to Delaware this past fall. We settled on our house in August and were all moved in by October.

We are getting married June 12, 2010. I'm booking my florist and baker after the holidays as well. Where is your ceremony and reception?
  • dibsontopdibsontop member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The ceremony will be at St. Mary Magdalen on 202 in Wilmington and the reception is right down the road at Memorial Hall @ Talleyville Fire Co.  We got a really good deal at Talleyville due to a family connection, so that made it very easy to decide!

• Mattsbride10Mattsbride10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Welcome to the DE board!!! Just wondering...In what way are brides from other boards nasty???

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Hey there!  Welcome!  You and I are Date Twins!!!!!

You are on the ball!  If I may, I want to recommend my florist to you.  Both Steph (Tonysgurl) and I have used her, and we LOVEDLOVEDLOVED her.  Honestly, the florist is one of my fave vendors so far, and Steph said the same thing.

It's Belak's on Philadelphia Pike, and Barb is the florist.  She was so totally wonderful- we sat for over 3 hours, trying to figure out what I wanted, because I had no idea.  She has tons of books, and will help you customize exactly what you want.  It was great working with her, she made it so easy, and she's so attentive- I kept subconsciously going back to a picture of a bouquet, and while my mom and I didn't notice, she did, and helped me make it fit my wedding perfectly.  She even told my mom to hush when I asked about my stepmom and my mom started complaining about her- she wanted to hear what I had to say.

Not only was she attentive and very easy to work with, her pricing was great too.  For under $800, I got:
    1 Bridal Bouquet
    3 BM Bouquets
    1 Best Maid Corsage
    1 Grooms Bout
    2 GM Bouts
    1 RB Bout
    2 Dad Bouts
    2 Mom Clutches
    2 Grandma corsages
    1 Grandpa bout
    1 usher/nephew bout
    4 niece corsages
    1 stepmom corsage
    1 throwaway bouqet
    6 pew bows

...and some other things I can't remember off the top of my head.  I used stargazer lilies, lisianthus, blue delphinium, white daisies, green berries, stephanotis, white roses, white gerbera daisies, and filler flowers.  Not the most expensive stuff, but not the cheapest either by any means.  I think the one thing that made me so happy was her ideas.  Our RB is autistic, and we wanted to make sure he was safe.  Right off the bat, she suggested a heavy duty magnet (so he wouldn't stick himself with the pin).  She also brought in two srpays of blue delphinum, to which I said fine- not realizing that one was fake.  They looked exactly the same, and now we don't have to worry about him possibly eating something dangerous to him.

She was awesome at Steph's wedding as well- I was there, and her flowers were downright GORGEOUS.  Steph had her do the centerpieces as well (mine are included with our hall), and they just totally rocked.  Page Steph/Tonygurl for more info.  Really, I highly suggest you head to Barb.  You won't be disappointed, and you won't dread it after dealing with her- she's so totally awesome.  She also does altar arrangements for alot of the churches around here, so you don't have to worry about her knowing what she is doing in that department, either.

Sorry for it being so long!  Welcome, and hope to see you posting a whole bunch!  We will help you out as much and as honestly as we can! Laughing

• edited December 2011
    Hi and welcome to the DE board!  You are right about one thing, all of the girls on this board are sweet and extremely helpful.  They helped me make my wedding as wonderful as it was...both before and during :-)  You may notice the board moves a little slow, but if you ask a question, no matter what you will always get helpful answers and honest opinions :-)

Good luck with your planning...it sounds like you are off to a great start!
  • edited December 2011
    Hey! Welcome to the DE board :)

Ditto everything Brit said about Barb - I have a full review and non pro pics in my bio if you are interested, but I highly recommend Barb - definately one of my fav vendors :)
  • edited December 2011
    Mattsbride, there are people who post rude, offensive comments on some of the boards.  There's name calling, telling each other that ideas are stupid or tacky, just all kinds of rediculousness.  My approach is to ignore.  I'm not here to make friends or enemies, I'm just looking for wedding info!
  • edited December 2011

Welcome!  I have to say, 10/2/10 is a popular day!  I, myself, got married this past October 11th.  It's a great time of year to get married...not too hot, not too cold. 

The girls on this board are so very nice.  I've become great friends with many of them.  In fact, while I was planning my wedding, I wanted them at my wedding more than i wanted my own family, because these ladies are going through the same thing (or have gone through the same thing) and understand all the hard work you've done.  In the end I was able to have some of my fellow DE Knotties in attendance, which meant a lot to me.

Congrats on your engagement and let us know if you need any help. 

• dibsontopdibsontop member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you everyone for the welcome.  And thanks for the Florist tip. I'll be sure to check it out.  Like I said, I haven't really done anything with flowers yet.  I've only looked at online solutions and was really liking Bridesign.com.  But before I decided on something like that I definitely want to get quotes from some florists in person.

Oh, and MattsBride, I've noticed that on several of the other boards girls are really quick to criticize or put down other peoples ideas or views.  And often times, name calling!  Nothing like this board.

• Mattsbride10Mattsbride10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://delaware.weddings.com/main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_delaware_another-de-bride-here?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:77Discussion:164115a9-93b7-4aec-92b5-6b01101b2fffPost:707dd037-adf3-4d67-a7c5-03cfc26fff6c">Re: Another DE bride here!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thank you everyone for the welcome.  And thanks for the Florist tip. I'll be sure to check it out.  Like I said, I haven't really done anything with flowers yet.  I've only looked at online solutions and was really liking Bridesign.com.  But before I decided on something like that I definitely want to get quotes from some florists in person. Oh, and MattsBride, I've noticed that on several of the other boards girls are really quick to criticize or put down other peoples ideas or views.  And often times, name calling!  Nothing like this board.
    Posted by dibsontop[/QUOTE]

Name calling!!! WTF is wrong with some ppl!! They should be kicked off the boards immediately.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Mattsbride, as long as they are following the terms of service, then there is nothing the Knot/Nest/Bump can do about it.  That's why I say some of the boards on here (like P&E, or Etiquette as it's now known) are not for the faint of heart, by any means.  Philly, along with some of the national boards and bigger regional boards, can be that way as well.
  • edited December 2011
    I do agree about the snarkiness of some of the other boards; sometimes it makes me not want to come to theknot.  I do like this board though, but it doesn't have as many posts.
  • RplantRplant member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have used Golden Apple Caterers for my oldest daughter's wedding and my son's wedding. My third child has just got engaged and I plan on using them again. They have many different locations with very affordable pricing (they include everything - linens, china, silverware, they also threw in a wedding cake!!). I believe at their locations they even give you the room for free! I used one of their locations for my oldest and at my son's wedding they came to the church hall. If anyone would like to email me regarding them, please feel free! Theresa (the owner's wife) is great! Very patient and understanding! She even emails me late at night or returns my phonecalls after 7:00PM. Their food is very good and they can decorate, which is a big plus in my book! My email address is dancin357@aol.com! Thought this would help, looking for a great DJ. The ones I used in the past are now retired!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards