Delaware

Help! with BM gifts (long, sorry!)

Alright, I am stuck like nothing else on bridesmaids gifts.  I really want to do something thoughtful, individualized, and useful for my girls.  Let me outline a little about each, and let you knwo what I have gotten them so far, and hopefully you all can help me come up with ideas!

1.  My Maid of Honor is my younger sister, M.  She is 21, and is graduating from UD this Friday with a Bachelors in Leadership.  She starts Pharm school in the fall at USP.  She is a hardcore runner.  She is very girly; loves to dress up, makeup, jewelry, and SHOES, but is pretty picky about what she wants and wears so she gets alot of it herself.  Very organized.  Beach bum, but already has all the stuff she wants/needs. She's very thoughtful, but hides it behind a joking/somewhat tough/tell it like it is/can't stand bullcrap exterior (for example, she is walking my ringbearer, who is Autistic, down the aisle.  She gave up her spotlight moment, but refused to make a big deal about it).  So far, I have post-its/pen with her initial, blank notecards/more post it (loves post its, from being organized), B&BW PocBac (3 scents with 2 holders), a pair of ElizaB flipflops (her fave brand, got them for $15!), 7 travel size OPI nail polishes (6 color and 1 topcoat, got a steal on that as well, originally $35 on all and got them for $11!) and few odds and ends.

2.  My Matron of Honor is my sister, K.  She is 33, and is married with 5 kids.  Doesn't do much for herself (shes got 5 kids, 2 with special needs).  Loves comfy shoes, hates to dress up/makeup.  Can't wear jewelry because of a severe allergy.  Very religious (Christian).  Loves tea, but doesn't really get the time to drink it.  No coffee!  Doesn't have much money, so she never buys herself anything new or really nice, and if she does get something nice, it's used (her only Coach bag was the one Dad got her for her 30th bday, and that was only because she mentioned liking that print, and I told Dad without her knowing.  All her Veras she has found at Goodwill, or has shyly asked me if I had any she could have).  She hates asking for nice things/help, and wants her kids to get items before she does.  So far, I have post-its/pen with her initial, blank notecards (some designs and some with Initials), B&BW PocBac (3 scents with 2 holders), other odds and ends, and a Life is Good mug that she had mentioned she loved.

3.  FI's Best Maid is V.  They were best friends in HS, and FI asked me to do her gift b/c he knows nothing about girls.  She graduated in 2008 from Dickinson College, and works for the Republican Party in PA.  Does Rugby and Roller Derby/Skating.  From Greece (like, off the boat).  Pretty privledged, and has many nice things.  Likes color blue.  Likes Vera and Uggs.  Likes things that are a little different.  I haven't met her that much, but she's very outgoing and everyone loves her as soon as they meet her.  So far, I have a notecard set, B&BW PocBacs, and some odds and ends, and a Life Is Good shirt that fits her personality great.

I want something small for M, because she's pretty much done.  I was thinking a clutch, or maybe having some business cards made and put them in a nice business card holder (she will be needing them in grad/pharm school!).  She also loves Coach, and their keychains, maybe one of those (you can get them at the outlet for a steal; mine was $6!)

For K, I was thinking a pair of Crocs (she's got a bunch of foot problems, and loves Crocs for the same reason I do, they are super comfy on her feet and don't hurt to wear them esp for long periods), but was thinking a pair of the dressy ones they have (Crocs has a store at the Rehoboth Outlets, and they are also doing free shipping on the site until the end of May).  I was also thinking about doing a Coach wristlet, or a Vera bag?  I don't know!

For V, I have no idea.  IKEA has some pretty neat stuff that might work; I saw a desk lamp that is run completely on solar light.  I thought maybe a pair of nice flipflops (then all the girls could have shoes for the reception?), or a nice buisness card holder as well?  We are really stuck on V.

I thought about getting all the girls a Lands End tote (personalized), and putting all their gifts in them.  The medium size, with personalization, comes to $20.50; plus, I am pretty sure if you go to the Sears store and order from there and ship/pick up there, I am going to check today.  Plus, it's Lands End Totes so you know they will hold up to anything, and the girls can return them at any time if anything happens to them.  That's why I want to go with LE instead of getting them a bag on one of the random wedding sites. (FYI, the large with personalization is 24.50).  M was actually the one to suggest this, for all the girls.  If I went with another company, I would go with Thirty One Bags (if you have never heard of them or seen their items, check them out, they are awesome and they are also guaranteed! http://www.thirtyonegifts.com/index.htm)

Anyway, if you girls could help me come up with some gifts, I would be greatly appreciative.  I just have no idea what to do.  Thank you thank you thank you so mcuh for your help!

Re: Help! with BM gifts (long, sorry!)

• edited December 2011
    When I read this post, a few ideas came to mind right away.  I don't know if they fall within your price points for each person, but hopefully I can help a little. 

For M - What about going on to USP's bookstore website and getting her a USP t-shirt that she could use for running, lounging, etc.  I know that most bookstores sell the Yikes! brand for about $15 (or if it would be more convenient for you to buy it directly, then you avoid shipping).  Another idea might be to get her a gift card to somewhere that she could get some professional attire/clothes that she would wear (since she will be needing them for IPPE/APPEs in pharmacy school - at least that's the boat I'm in lol) P.S.  tell her congrats on graduating from UD (I am, as well) and yay for pharm students (I'm going to UMES) :-)

For K- How about getting her a small tea kettle (Target has a COPCO one for $11.99) and a box or two of her favorite kinds of tea?  These would work well with the LIfe is Good mug you already picked out for her.  Maybe if she had everything she needed, she could hopefully find the time to enjoy a cup every once in a while.  Just a thought.  Another idea would be to get her a small Coach or Vera purse/wristlet/etc if you could find one on sale or at the outlets. 

For V - Maybe something small from Vera in the Java Blue color since she likes blue?  It sounds like it might be tough to pick something out for her! lol  I do like your solar lamp idea, especially if she likes things that are a little different.  This is sort of random, but the solar lamp made me think of this - if she is into eco-friendly things, instead of a gift bag you could put the lamp into a reusable shopping bag (someone did this for me for one of my showers) and maybe get her something else that is eco-friendly/made from recycled products.  Maybe a stainless steel water bottle or something?  I use mine all the time...

Hope this helps! 
  • edited December 2011
    These are great ideas!  I love the idea for M for professional clothing; thanks for that one!

I thought more on what to get K, and I came up with an iPod Clock/Radio (like an iHome).  She has an iPod (given to her at Christmas), but nothing to play it on without headphones.  I also thought about getting her the car charger/player set.  If I go with the tea, I thought about heading to Teavana and getting her some good tea.  My friend got me hooked on tea from there, and with the infuser I have from there, it's soo easy to do.

I really don't know for V.  I thought of getting her something rugby related, but I don't know what! 

As for the eco part, that's why I thought of getting the girls the totes and putting everything in there; then no wrapping paper or bags go to waste.

And congrats on graduation!  What's your degree in?  University of Maryland, Eastern Shore, Correct?  Congrats on that!  Are you going for Pharm as well?
  • edited December 2011
    Glad I could help!  What about some sort of gear bag for V?  I don't really know anything about rugby, but pretty much all athletes can use a bag to store stuff in.  Good idea for K!   The tote bag is a good idea, too - I think I missed the "putting all of their gifts in it" part the first time lol

Thank you!  I'm graduating with a Bachelor's in Biology.  I'm starting pharmacy school in the fall at UMES (and yes, you were right about the name).  They have a three year, year-round program, so I'm excited that I will finish in three rather than four years. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards