Delaware

Questions about Sophia the alterations lady...

Hi Ladies,

I live in DE but I normally post on the Central PA board because that's where I am getting married..

I bought my dress from Brides and Grooms and I was thinking about taking it to Sophia (because you all reccommend her) to get it altered.  I has a lot of of beading at the top that will need to be taken in.  My wedding is at the end of March and she doesnt reopen until February.  I am concerned about timing.

1) If you had your dress altered there, how long did it take her?
2) If you had significant beading or top alterations, how did it turn out
3) What is her average price range?

Any feedback is helpful (sorry so long!)

Re: Questions about Sophia the alterations lady...

• edited December 2011
    Im pretty sure Sarah used her & recommended her, but shes away on her honeymoon still...  Give her a few days, and if you dont get a response from her, I would page her.  GL
  • edited December 2011
    I just took my dress to Sophia this past Thursday just to get her to check out my dress and give me an estimate.  She said the bustles are $10 each and I'd need 2 or 3, but I don't need any other alterations.  She's back the first week of February, and told me to give her a call then, but I'm getting married in May so I have a little more time than you.  I would just call her when she gets back and see what she says :)
    *Lauren*
    Married Bio! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I didn't take my wedding dress to Sophia, I took a bridesmaids dress to her. My sister, another one of my BM, and my mom all took their dresses to her last month. My mom was very last minute with her dress and it had beading on the top, and Sophia was able to alter it in I think 2 weeks. Everyone's pricing was different because they all needed different things done. GL!
  • edited December 2011
    I had my wedding dress altered at Sophia's and she took 4 weeks because I believe she could - I have had her turn around other dresses for me in a week. I would personally trust that she could make your alterations in time for you wedding - she is amazing and worth every penny. I go to her for everything.
  • devilzkandidevilzkandi member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I used Sophia for my bridsmaid dress a month before the wedding. She was very plesant to work with. She altered the poof sleeves and took in the waist/repositioned the zipper in 3 weeks for $70.  I told her she was recommended by girls on this site and she seemed tickeled, had no idea!

Every alteration is different of course, so pricing may vary. 
  • edited December 2011
    I have been in many weddings over the past few years and every bridesmaids dress I have worn has had alterations done by Sophia.  I am currently in the stages of planning my wedding and my dress will be taken there as well to be done.  I have never found her prices to be outrageous, and always felt like she had a very quick turn around.  My sister did take her wedding dress there and loved it.  Sophia is the first person the women in my family think of when needing to get anything done.  

*** MY ONE WARNING:  Be mindful of taking your dress to Sophia around prom time, she gets VERY, VERY busy!!!!  In a case like that you would probably want to give her a little more time.
  • redreviving6redreviving6 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies!  I look forward to working with her!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards