Delaware
Options

Affordable Reception Venues

Hi all, I wanted to throw this out to anyone who has looked at area venues and is on a budget.  Our wedding isn't for over 2 years but we want to start looking at reception venues this fall so that we'll have some time to plan and pay for it all.
I know most of the typical reception venues in and around Delaware, but I'm wondering if any of you local brides out there can recommend a spot that might be overlooked.  I'm trying to do as much research as possible before we narrow down the venues we want to look at.
I'm not sure yet what our budget will be, but I can tell you we'll likely be inviting around 200 people.  I'm trying to keep the per person cost $50 or below if at all possible.  We're definitely open to BYOB, as this can be a cost savings.
The main things we want are open bar, good food, and a nice looking (indoor) space.  We're definitely not opposed to places like fire halls if they are updated and have a nice ambiance.  Any recommendations?  I'm currently looking in New Castle County, DE, and the PA/NJ local area, about as far as Philadelphia.
Thanks in advance!

Re: Affordable Reception Venues

• Options
    meastburnmeastburn member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Hockessin Memorial Hall is (in my opinion) nice. The woman who is in charge of it is extremely nice and easy to work with

Good luck!
  • Options
    wicked+faerywicked+faery member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Rockwood is a great option. i had my wedding there. food was only $40 pp & it's beatiful. there's some pics in my bio along with some extra info.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_delaware_affordable-reception-venues?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:77Discussion:a21ea61b-1396-4523-891a-77a8ec1c05d4Post:dca5424c-b2dd-4b36-a4e6-d2a3acec9ce5">Re: Affordable Reception Venues</a>:
    [QUOTE]Rockwood is a great option. i had my wedding there. food was only $40 pp & it's beatiful. there's some pics in my bio along with some extra info.
    Posted by wicked+faery[/QUOTE]

I second this. I'm not having my wedding there because my brother did and I didn't want to copy him but I am bummed that he found this spot first. It is beautiful - inside and outside. I love the catering company that runs the site too. I would highly recommend checking them out.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    gmcr78gmcr78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks guys!  Both of those places are definitely on my list.
  • Options
    LBug24LBug24 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    same case, but my sister got married there first!
    It's absolutely gorgeous and gives you the option of outdoor ceremony/cocktail hour. check it out!

Check out the DE state parks (Bellevue, Blue Ball Barn, judge morris-though it might be too small)

There are lots of great vineyards in PA if you're open to considering outside!
    Goodluck!

Follow Me on Pinterest Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    gmcr78gmcr78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I hadn't even thought of PA vineyards, that's a great idea! Thanks for the tip!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Look into Executive Banquet and Conference Center, in Newark on rt. 896.  We had a wonderful experience with them- I reviewed them in the post "Wilmington/Newark Area Ceremony/Reception Ideas?", right below this one.  If you have any other questions, feel free to email me at BLWSquared (at) gmail (dot) com!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I live in the Dover area and am also on a very low budget. We are having our reception at Fraizers on the water. Part of it is a restaurant, but we have a separate enterance, bathrooms, and a waterfront view on the private patio. Our overall cost for 100 people was around $6000 with good food and open bar. Pizzadili winery in Felton is also a hidden gem....beautiful location and great food. It is pretty reasonably priced as well and have different sized rooms or can do outside receptions on their awesome property.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards