Delaware

Wilmington/philly dress shops

Hey all -- I live down in Salisbury, Md., but I'm looking for a dress shop in Wilmington or Philadelphia that's open on Sundays that I can make an appointment at in a few weeks.

My friend, who's also getting married, and I want to go up to the "big cities!" to try on some dresses with friends. I'm looking to stay under $1,000, so any shops with a wide range under that number would be good. 

Thanks in advance!

Re: Wilmington/philly dress shops

• wicked_faerywicked_faery member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i only know of david's bridal on kirkwood HWY
    ~~~~June 15th 2011~~~~ Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic My Planning Bio - Updated Nov 2nd
  • edited December 2011
    I would recommend not going to David's Bridal (as other older girls on here would as well), or heading to other shops besides David's if you do go (see my post above on why).

The one that comes most highly recommended on here is Brides and Grooms in Newark; their service is great, their prices can't be beat, and they have many designers(Mori Lee, Impressions, Da Vinci, Alfred Angelo, Maggie Sottero, Sottero and Midgeley, and many many more).  It's a hole in the wall store, and I would definitely recommend making an appointment and NOT going on a Saturday (they are the most popular salon it seems; everyone I know has gotten their dress from there!).  One not so good note, their alterations can be not so reliable, so I would suggest getting it done at a private seamstress (one probably closer to home for you!).  Also, if you buy your dress there, your girls get 15% off their dresses (who doesn't love money off during this economy?!).  Also, if you have a dress in mind by a designer they carry but it isnt in the store, they can get it for you (that is what they did for me).

Another one that is really good is Bridal and Tuxedo Shoppe, on Kirkwood Hwy in Pike Creek/Newark.  They are on the same level as Brides and Grooms, but a little pricier.  Service at both are awesome!

If you want to spend a little more on your dress, Jennifer's in Hockessin carries the high name brands (think Kleinfelds!).  They have beautiful dresses, and if I had had the money, I would have gone there and gotten a Pricilla of Boston (my mom wore PoB at her wedding, and I thought it would be neat if I did too, but they were way out of my price range).

One that is a little closer to you is Simon's in Dover.  I have never been there, but my sister went there for her prom dress and said the service was good.  I am sure their service for brides is better than that for prom season.

In Philly, the only one I know that hear a good bit is Country Bride and Gent.  Otherwise, check out http://understandthistk.blogspot.com/ (the philly board vendor list) for some other places (FYI Sabrina Ann's is a good one is you want high end consignment).

There are also a couple to stay away from, PM me if you would like those names.

Finally, scroll down a couple posts for some shops near the beach that come recommended... the title is "Dress Shopping in DE".

Good luck, I hope this helps!
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks! I'm specifically looking for things up north because I have a friend coming to meet me from Jersey, and I wanted a halfway point for us.
  • edited December 2011
    Brides and Grooms is fabulous but will be closed on Sundays beginning in June.  They also will be closed one weekend in June due to expanding.  My dress, my Mommy's, and MOG, and BMs dresses were all purchased here. 

Sabrina Ann's in Ardmore is nice but is also closed on Sundays on Mondays.  Just went there last week for accessories.  Good note, Sabrina's is located on the Main Line and very close to Priscilla of Boston and and another wedding boutique that slips my mind at the time.

I ditto and strongly suggest you either avoid David's or try it along with other shops.  I found David's prices not comparable to the quality and definitely not comparable to the service.

There is always Macy's wedding shop in K of P.

I am closest to Philly and actually went to DE to find my gown.  If you would like me to, I am happy to give you names of stores in Philly if you want the "big city" experience.
  • edited December 2011
    Brides & Grooms... It's fabulous!!! I bought my dress and my BM dresses there.

Rhoyal1- They are expanding? YAY!! I havent been down there in about 2 months.. Great news!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards