Nebraska-Omaha

Friday weddings

Usually, I'm not a fan of Friday weddings, but in beginning to plan I'm realizing that there are a lot more open Fridays at the locations I'm looking at.  I'd appreciate some opinions on Friday night weddings...love 'em?  hate 'em?  Had one?  Any problems?  Thank you!

Re: Friday weddings

• edited December 2011
    love friday night weddings!!! if you are planning to have a lot of OOT guests, this may be slightly inconvenient.  my sister had a friday night wedding though, and she found everything was much, much cheaper.  

i'd say if you have it after people get off work (say 5:30), you're golden!

i also went to one a few weeks ago that was at 7pm.  afterward, they had a drink bar & heavy hor devours & dessert bar--it was perfect, and so much fun!
  • edited December 2011
    Our problem was we have so many OOT guests that Friday would not work. Plus too many people are in school, have kids in school, and/or work during the week, and we figured too many people wouldn't be able to make it. 
    "The best thing about loving and being hurt is that you get to know what true love really is. For as gold is tested in fire, and so will love be perfected in pain."
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Planning Bio/Blog

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Chasity08Chasity08 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're doing a Friday night wedding! We're doing our ceremony at 5 (we know by doing this a lot of people probably wont be able to come because of work, but we figure the people who REALLY want to be there will be there, and then it'll be smaller and more intimate), and we're going to do most of the pictures beforehand. So the ceremony will be over at 5:20 or so. cocktail hour will be from 5:30-6:30, and then dinner at 6:45 or so. and then the reception until midnight! =] It works for us, and it saved us a ton of money. So we like it.
  • HuskerfanzHuskerfanz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nebraska-omaha_friday-weddings?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:79Discussion:042435cd-6d36-400a-bc01-859517a4b053Post:97e8aee0-72e0-430b-9aa7-da69847137cd">Re: Friday weddings</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think it is fine as long as you do all pictures before. That way people can go straight from the ceremony to the hall. If you did a 6 pm ceremony you can still serve dinner but make sure its fairly quick. I once went to a Sat night wedding that was at 630 and it was almost 9 before we ate! Wayyy to late for me.
    Posted by LindsaymR[/QUOTE]

Ditto Lindsay.

Also, you might want to think about doing save the dates.  If you don't do dinner, make sure the ceremony is late enough that people have time to grab something to eat.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BabyFruit Ticker
    TTC #1 since 08/11 IUI#2 = BFP!
  • ashynichashynich member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nebraska-omaha_friday-weddings?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:79Discussion:042435cd-6d36-400a-bc01-859517a4b053Post:3bf3278e-12c7-4557-b48f-4a9a01c8e371">Re: Friday weddings</a>:
    [QUOTE]We're doing a Friday night wedding! We're doing our ceremony at 5 (we know by doing this a lot of people probably wont be able to come because of work, but we figure the people who REALLY want to be there will be there, and then it'll be smaller and more intimate), and we're going to do most of the pictures beforehand. So the ceremony will be over at 5:20 or so. cocktail hour will be from 5:30-6:30, and then dinner at 6:45 or so. and then the reception until midnight! =] It works for us, and it saved us a ton of money. So we like it.
    Posted by Chasity08[/QUOTE]

<div>This is exactly what we are doing!!</div>
  • HiLLjOHiLLjO member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're getting married at 5:30 on a Friday because most our guests are traveling out of state so they'll be here already. We're doing heavy hors d'oeuvres before we come back upstairs while we do the receiving line and some last minute pictures so people don't want to eat their own hands off. Then dinner is at 6:30 because we eat around 7 usually anyway at home.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • queentresa1queentresa1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Were doing a Friday night wedding for our daughter. The wedding and reception at same venue so it makes it work. The event starts at 7 p.m with drinks and light hors d' oeuvres. Ceremony to begin around 8 p.m then we will go directly into the reception/party/dance with open bar, heavy hors d' oeuvres and desserts throughout the evening. We felt it works great for our out of town guests because then we will have the weekend to rest and relax and visit with them. We also notified everyone far in advance so they can plan to attend. Our groom is from Georgia and families are all over from west to east. The wedding is in Fremont Nebraska so everything is hometown which also keeps costs low and supports our community.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards