Ohio-Columbus
Options

Flower question about peonies for June weddings

It is very important that peonies are part of my wedding.  I picked the wedding date of June 18 thinking that peonies would still be in season.  

One florist told me I am definitely good...no problem getting peonies.  Two other florists told me that my wedding is at the end of the peony season and they can't promise that I would be able to have them--it would just depend on the growing season next year.

Those of you who are having your wedding in Mid to late June...what have you heard?  FOOL is the only place that acted like it would be no problem at all to have them.

Thanks so much!

Re: Flower question about peonies for June weddings

• Options
    BrittBritt22BrittBritt22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think you can get most flowers anytime of year.
    It becomes a price issue if they flowers are not typically in season.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Peonies are definitely a spring flower from all the sites I have checked. I wouldn't think a florist would have trouble getting them at all. And they are quite popular.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am in your boat!  I LOVE the soft look of peonies, so romantic!  I spoke with a florist today actually about peonies (and anemonies).  They told me the end of their season is right about now.  However, you can get them anytime during the year from other countries - much more costly though... and even then they can't promise anything.  He informed me of some other kinds of flowers that are available and have a similar look to the peony.  Have you heard of David Austin rose or garden rose??  Similar in look and probably cheaper!  Give it a google search and good luck :)
  • Options
    skippylouwhoskippylouwho member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our peonies are in full bloom, they will not last until mid-June. I'm actually thinking they might be done by some time next week.  FYI, we're in Hilliard.  Possibly peonies grown north of here would still be viable but would have to be shipped in. I don't know how well peonies ship, if the petals would fall off or not.
  • Options
    drakehjdrakehj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ugh.. me too. I LOVE them, and spoke to my florist yesterday about them. She was calling to confirm with me if I still wanted a ton of them.
    She said she found that they are out of season pretty much this week.. and if I still wanted them for June 12th... they'd be $4 a bloom. WHAT!!!??

She is a retired florist, and works out of her home in my hometown. She is only charging me what the flower cost her to buy from her warehouse and just a tad of labor. So if she says $4 per bloom, I can only image that major florist in Cbus would probably charge more.

It's such a bummer.
    imageAnniversary BabyFruit Ticker BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting married June 19 this year, and we are supposed to have a mix of peonies and other flowers in bouquets/centerpieces.  I talked to Jan at FOOL and she said that her local suppliers are running low, so there isn't a lot of selection left (so you can't be picky about the specific variety).  It sounded like there will still be peonies, but I'm expecting there will be more garden roses used than peonies.  I can let you know what happens after the wedding.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards