Iowa-Des Moines
Options

Engaged!

Just thought I would introduce myself.  I've been officially engaged for 2 weeks now!!  We are thinking about a summer 2011 wedding.  We are most likely moving out of state in May 2010 after FI graduates from ISU.  I'm still wanting to plan a wedding in Iowa because most of my family lives here.  It may be a little soon but we're thinking about an outdoor wedding, any suggestions on venues? 

Re: Engaged!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Welcome to the board and congrats on your engagement! Are you looking for places in DSM, Ames, etc?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Many congrats on your engagement!  :-)  We live in Ohio and have for three years now, but we got married in August in Iowa because that's where we both grew up, so it was a lot closer for almost all of our friends and family.  Plus, we have a stronger emotional connection to Des Moines than we ever will with Columbus.  Long-distance planning can be tough, but two things help a lot:  a family member or close friend who lives in the area of the wedding whose opinion you trust and who is willing to run some errands for you, and the Knotties here on this board who are wonderful for providing reviews, opinions, and general feedback for any and all of your ideas.  For outdoor venues, if you're looking in the DSM area, I would very highly recommend the venues we used:  the rose garden behind the Des Moines Art Center and the terrace on the State Historical Building.  They were absolutely perfect, and very reasonably priced! 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Congrats!!  It feels great right?! I would suggest Jester Park Lodge in Granger.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the advice.  We're thinking of either des moines or iowa city.  Most of my family lives closer to IC, but my friends are all closer to DM and I feel like there are more options.  Plus I'm not sure how FI would feel about getting married in Hawkeye country.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My sister is getting married in June and they are having an outdoor ceremony and an indoor reception all at the same location. Jester Park Lodge: http://www.jesterparklodge.com/
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Congrats on your engagement! GL with the planning. There are a lot of great brides and bride-to-be knotties on here that are a great help!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Congrats!!!! All the planning and stuff is very exciting but can be stressful so don't forget about us fellow knotties. We are here to help, give advice and reviews, and are pretty good listeners when it comes to venting haha.....Good luck
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards