Iowa-Des Moines

How would you feel about using a port-a-potty?

Honestly, how would you feel? I'm having an outdoor wedding next september, the farm house has two bathrooms, I don't want to overload that plumbing system so i was thinking about getting port-a-pottys. I would of course have a nice table with a cute pitcher and water basin, fresh towels, purell, lots of purell, wetnaps, and other assorted things. I know it's not the best situation, but anyway i can make it better?
Anniversary

Re: How would you feel about using a port-a-potty?

• edited December 2011
    yikes! i think i might risk just having the two bathrooms. 

if you HAVE to use a port-a-potty though - i'd add LOTS of air fresheners to the inside to help!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • medusia00medusia00 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with Hawkeyes, If it's a must then do it, but I guess it would depend on how many people you are having and if you think anyone would use it.
    Sept 11, April Siggy, HM Picture!!
    On a Boat, with our Flippy-Floppies!
    Anniversary
    Want to see my Bio? PM Me!!
    Wifey Shenanigans & Day Zero
  • edited December 2011
    Honestly - I would not like it. Is this just where you are having your wedding ceremony at? Because if so, I would not get port-a-pottys for a place that everyone will be at for an hour. If this is a place for your ceremony and reception, then I guess I'm not sure, but I still would not like it if that was at a wedding I went to. I'm all dressed up! I'd wait in the line for the real bathrooms and I'm guessing I wouldn't be the only one... so maybe they wouldn't even get used.
  • edited December 2011
    We're having our reception at our farm house so we are most likely getting one. It'll probably just be girls who use it since guys will go wherever. If you gotta go you gotta go and knowing that it'll be clean when we get it and only the people at the reception using it it shouldn't be a big deal to everyone. It's better than what we do most of the time at bon fires anyway!

Of course our house won't be completely off limits but I think most people will understand and use the porta-potty.
  • edited December 2011
    it's obviously not ideal, but i think it's better to at least have the option of a porto. once the liquor/booze is flowing, people don't care much anyways. :)
  • edited December 2011
    If it were me, I would definitely stand in line for the bathroom. But just analyze your guests and think "would they wait or go ahead and use it?"
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Andy & Erin
  • edited December 2011
    Ok seriously... a port-a-pot is NOT a big deal.  We had one for my sister's wedding, and now we are having one for our wedding.  It is out at a farm.  Trust me... you do NOT want people tracking in an out of your house.  Port-a-pots aren't gross, it's thye ppl that do stupid stuff to them (like pee on the seat) that makes them gross.  Put a sign on the house doors saying "Please use Port-a-potty."  We are dressing ours up a lil just to entice ppl a lil.  The only ppl that used our house toilet was my aunt's husband and their kids, which didn't make my parent's happy.  It is not worth ruining a septic system just cuz your guests think they're too good to use a port-a-pot.  (If you can't tell, this is a pet peeve of mine.)  How do they think ppl did it in the old days?  Except, back then ppl relied on outhouses 100% of the time, and they weren't as nice as a port-a-pot.  Our wedding is at my paren'ts farm.  When my sis got married, you couldn't even put TP down the toilet, but now we have a new septic system.  Doesn't matter though cuz ppl don't need to be tracking through the house.  My advice: give 'em a taste of the good 'ol days on the farm.  Afterall, you are getting married on a farm.  If I can fit in our port-a-pot with my big dress then I would be the first to use it, but I'm not sure I'll be able to fit in it, unless it's one of those big handicap accessible ones.
  • edited December 2011
    farmgirl: what did you do for the whole handwashing situation? I've thought about getting making a table out of old/reclaimed wood, get a neat little red country style runner and an antigue pitcher and basin with towels, i'll also have purell and wet wipes too.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I think our port-a-pots came with handsanitizer in them already.  I think most of them do anymore.  That sounds cute, but don't overthink it either.  :)  People will live with "roughing it" if they don't have a real bathroom to use or anything to clean their hands with.  Germs are good for ya anyways!  :)  You could even just set a bottle of hand sanitizer inside the potty if it doesn't come with some already.  Just remember, it's all part of the farm experience.  :)
  • edited December 2011

I'd use it.

• mpm0327mpm0327 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am in the exact same boat.  My brother got married a few years back and he did this  at his wedding.  They were wonderful, believe it or not.  The rental place had portos just for special events (not ones from a construction site or concert venue).  It was nice.  However, my furture in laws are mortified by the idea.  I woudl rather a porto than Meet The Focker's scenario.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards