Iowa-Des Moines

Reception location help!!

Windsor Hall / Des Moines Rugby Club?
We are getting married in Mexico and holding a reception in Des Moines probably in March 2012 and need help finding a reasonably priced reception site.
Has anyone ever held or been to a reception at the Des Moines Rugby Clubhouse/ Windsor Hall in West Des Moines? Their rental price is good and you can bring in your own caterer and alcohol but it is hard to picture a reception based on the photos on their website.
OR does anyone know of other rentals in Des Moines where we can bring in our own caterer and alcohol? We also have a lot of our family and friends traveling for this reception so we would like to be close to a hotel if at all possible.
Any information is appreciated!
Thanks!

Re: Reception location help!!

• McsweetsMcsweets member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have been to a wedding at the rugby club it's pretty small.  They had a stand up reception, there wouldnt have been room to sit anywhere.  The windsor heights place is really nice - its brand new.  You can also look at raccoon river's lodge in west des moines - it's pretty nice, too :)

Good luck!!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • kschwarz09kschwarz09 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am getting married at colby park in windsor heights. They have a community center trype thing right there wich is where my receeption will be held. It is actually very nice for a park. we where quite impressed with the place.
  • mike+stephmike+steph member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you! The Windsor Heights Community Center at Colby Park looks really nice and the price is good!  Do you know the price or rules for alcohol at the reception?  The website just says there may be an additional charge.
  • kschwarz09kschwarz09 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's an extra $125. and you have to get an officer for $30/hr. also...your caterer has to have their alcohol insurance.
  • edited December 2011
    Granger (just NW of Des Moines) recently opened a community center. They have great prices and you can bring in your own caterer, DJ, and whatnot. The chairs, tables, dishes are all included in the price. The building used to be a church so it's very nice. The Events room fits about 300 on chairs and something like 150 at tables--don't quote me though. I think it's also around 4-500 a day. Alcohol is a bigger damage deposit (which is refundable pending cleanup) and you have to have an officer. The city's website has the number of the person in charge.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards