Iowa-Des Moines

temple for performing arts?

Hi, my name is Rachel, I'm new to the knot! So it's nice to meet everyone :). Although our wedding isn't going to be until may or june 2012 (dad insists I wait till I graduate college!) we are starting to look around for places to have our ceremony and reception. I'm really interested in the temple for performing arts in downtown Des Moines, I was thinking having the ceremony in the recital hall and then the reception in the larger grand hall. I was just wondering if anyone else here has had their wedding there and what their experience was like with it?

Also, if anyone else has any other places around Des Moines to suggest for our wedding (we want an indoor wedding, don't want to get my heart set on an outdoor wedding and have it ruined by this unpredictable Iowa weather!) that would be great! I've been having a hard time finding places that aren't churches and synagogues.

Thanks for any help!

Re: temple for performing arts?

• medusia00medusia00 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome and Congrats!!!

I love the Temple!! Soo pretty, however very pricy!! But if you can afford it! Go for it!

They do have a contract with a caterer, I can not for the life of me right now remember who its. So make sure you like the food!!

I don't mean to sound down about the Temple, if I could afford to have my wedding there I TOTALLY would!!!

Once again, welcome!! Hope to hear lots from you!!
    Sept 11, April Siggy, HM Picture!!
    On a Boat, with our Flippy-Floppies!
    Anniversary
    Want to see my Bio? PM Me!!
    Wifey Shenanigans & Day Zero
  • edited December 2011
    The Temple for the Performing Arts is gorgeous and they are a breeze to work with. You do have to use the Embassy Club as your caterer, but their food is phenomenal.

We had our wedding and reception at the Hotel Fort Des Moines in June 2009. (wedding in the wedgwood ballroom and reception in grand ballroom) We loved it and had a ton of compliments. They are closed for rennovations right now, but might be open by the time you are getting married.

Other options: Scottish Rite Consistory, Sticks Gallery, Embassy Suites, Renaissance Savery, Science Center, Teach Out Building
  • ltykaltyka member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're having our wedding at the Temple for Perfoming Arts in about two months.  As you mentioned, we're doing the ceremony in the Recital Hall and the reception in the Grand Hall.  It is a beautiful venue and we're very excited.  The Des Moines Embassy Club is easy to work with and extremely throurough.  We're working wtih Kristy and she is very responsive.  They provide the set up, tables, linens, alll the dishes, cake service (not the actual cake, but they cut and serve it for you) and tear down.  So that saves a little money and no one has to stay and clean up!  They host tastings each year for people who have events booked at the site.  Let me just say that the food is phenomenal.   You get to wander around and even talk to the chefs about any special foods you would like to add.  They're eager to please.

Good luck in your search!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards