Iowa-Des Moines

Hotel Dilemma

Ive run into a problem lately trying to get a block of rooms. Our wedding is downtown Des Moines this January and so we wanted to reserve a block of rooms at nearby hotels (preferably the Marriott and Holiday Inn). Unfortunately, due to the caucuses in January, the hotels have blocked off all of their rooms and wont take any block requests until less than a month out. We have a lot of family coming in from out of town and we need rooms for them to stay in.

Do you have any suggestions?! Help!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Hotel Dilemma

• sdose13sdose13 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That's tough. But I doubt they will change their policy unless you are having your wedding specifically in one of those hotels. Another option is to just block off rooms out of downtown and see if the hotel can work with you on shuttling your guests? Good luck -- that's a tough situation!
  • edited December 2011
    I would probably check the suburbs.  West Des Moines and Ankeny really aren't all that far of a drive.  Even if you did get a hotel block downtown, do you really want your guests contending for parking, etc. with all the caucus people.  Just something to think about.  Downtown can get pretty crazy when there are things like that down there. 
    Anniversary
  • MaggieandJakeMaggieandJake member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have you tried Embassy Suites?
    "All that I'm after is a lifetime of laughter, as long as I'm laughing with you"
    Photobucket
    Anniversary
    Photobucket
    My Crafting Blog
    Married Bio
  • Rachael45Rachael45 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We might end up having to move the hotels out of downtown. I was just nervous about that, being a January wedding, we all know how the roads can get! A shuttle is a good idea though, we should look into that!

As far as parking goes, the Temple lets you reserve street/meter parking in front of the building so I think we will be okay with that for the people that can't walk the two blocks to the ramps (ex. elderly). I hope something works out! We are wanting to do a post wedding brunch the next day with our families as well, maybe we can just pursuade them if we are having an "event" there. Thanks for the suggestions!
  • medusia00medusia00 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think you'll be go with the hotels in WDSM, think about driving on 235 it won't be that bad. Or even coming down Grand from 63rd.

I love the temple for Events, it is gorgeous.
    Sept 11, April Siggy, HM Picture!!
    On a Boat, with our Flippy-Floppies!
    Anniversary
    Want to see my Bio? PM Me!!
    Wifey Shenanigans & Day Zero
  • Rachael45Rachael45 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    update!

so we were able to pull some strings and we are now able to book rooms at the Marriott downtown (which was always my first choice) however we have to sign a contract that if the caucuses get moved we will be bumped out. They did promise there wouldn't be any fees or penalties assigned to us if that happens. But it could change less than a month out. At least now we can reserve rooms if we'd like but Im nervous! Would you guys take the chance?

and Medusia- thanks! We fell in love with it! We changed our date so we could get in there!
  • edited December 2011
    I would definitely take the chance! That was where our reception was and it is such a nice place. 

And I would also look into some of the options in WDSM. The Marriott in WDSM is also really nice and so is the Drury. They are both right off the interstate as well.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards