Iowa-Des Moines

need a yummy cake!

Does anyone know of any good bakers in des moines? I'm more concerned about the TASTE of our wedding cake rather than the design since we want something very simple. We really wanted Sweet binney's but they're booked on our date:-( We would love any suggestions!

Re: need a yummy cake!

• edited December 2011
    Indulgent Moments in Altoona is my vote.  He is doing our cake, and the tester cakes were amazing!!!  He does them out of his home, and they are super reasonable.
    Anniversary
  • medusia00medusia00 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We tried Carefree Patisserie, their cake was to die for!!
    Sept 11, April Siggy, HM Picture!!
    On a Boat, with our Flippy-Floppies!
    Anniversary
    Want to see my Bio? PM Me!!
    Wifey Shenanigans & Day Zero
  • Zippy88kZippy88k member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Carefree Patisserie or Lovejoy's in Carlisle
  • edited December 2011
    I second Lovejoys too.  The cake melts in your mouth!
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011

Shelly's Country Cakes/Iowa-Rent-A-Cake! They are amazing!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Jaarsma bakery in Pella=DELISH!  They'll be doing sheet cakes, since they don't do fancy wedding cakes :-)
  • edited December 2011
    If you can stand the drive, there's a place in Perry called Cake Me I'm Yours. The owner, Heather, is absolutely fabulous and she'll make anything you can imagine. When we talked to a lot of bakers in DSM, they refused to do anything on a tiered cake except chocolate, marble, or white cake. Heather will do absolutely anything - including cheesecake!! My brother used them for their cake (multi-flavored tiered cheesecake) last october as well as a speciality grooms cake that was a mix of cheesecake and regular cake chocolate cake. My fiance and i went up there in January to arrange for our own cake and not only is our anniversary tier going to be a custom creation, but we ended up liking so many of the flavors that we couldn't choose just one - we're having 5 different flavors of cake! 
  • gmorlangmorlan member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are actually doing a tiered cheesecake!~  Jess with Unc's Cheesecake is awesome.  She is the only person I can find that does tiered cheesecakes and her cakes always turn out different.  Plus she is VERY reasonable priced compared to all other cakes and her cheesecake is AMAZING!  Highly suggest her for any wedding!
  • edited December 2011
    I second "Cake Me I'm Yours" We had a small 2 tier cake, and 4 flavors of cupcakes. They were all wonderful! We had a hard time choosing. The red velvet cupcakes went first...I barely got one. I've had family and friends contact me for different wedding because ours was SO good. And also beautiful. Heather is great...its so worth the drive up there
  • edited December 2011
    thank you all for your wonderful suggestions!
  • McsweetsMcsweets member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I will add Highland Park Bakery and Sweet Binney's!!!!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I tried Indulgent Moments and it was the BEST!!!!!! WOW!!! I wish I was eating it right not. :) For 230 people it was going to be $430 for 2 tier and sheet cake. At hyvee for 250 people it was going to be $220 for 2 tier and sheet cake with no deposit. Indulgent Moments has $100 retaining fee. Even though Indulgent Moments tastes the best, I had to go with Hyvee as they were half the cost. Hope that helps a bit!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards