Iowa-Des Moines

Future Sister in Law?

My future mother in law keeps badgering me about what her daughter will do...she will be 13 when we get married and she's definitely not going to be a bridesmaid or jr. bridesmaid. Any ideas on what I can have her do???
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Future Sister in Law?

• ToBeMrs2011ToBeMrs2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    How does your fiance feel about any of this?  Is there a reason that she cannot be a junior bridesmaid?  Or do you just not want to have a junior bridesmaid?  

The only reason I ask is that I wasn't sure if you thought because of her age she was too young to be a junior bridesmaid.  My fiance has twin sisters that are going to be close to turning 11 at the time of our wedding and they are going to be junior bridesmaids.  

If you really don't want her as part of the wedding party, perhaps you could have her read at the wedding?  Not sure what type of ceremony you are having, but that could be something significant for her to do.  

I would hesitate to have her do something like "guest book duty", even if you are annoyed with your future mother in law (assuming you feel this way b/c you said she was badgering you).  Even though this day is about you & your fiance...you might want to just remember that these people will be in your life from here on out! :-)  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • medusia00medusia00 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with PP, is there a reason you don't want her part of the WP? If so, that's okay too.

You could have her be your personal attendant that day. She could hang out with all the girls and just be there for you if you need anything. Nothing major because of her age, but little things woudln't hurt.
    Sept 11, April Siggy, HM Picture!!
    On a Boat, with our Flippy-Floppies!
    Anniversary
    Want to see my Bio? PM Me!!
    Wifey Shenanigans & Day Zero
  • edited December 2011
    My fiancee is in Afghanistan so thats why we dont really have this worked out. my fiancee doesnt want her in the wedding party either b/c he doesnt think its appropriate to have his 22 year old army buddies walking his 13 yr old sister down the aisle. I also hate the idea of jr. bridesmaid. Things have to be symmetrical. Thats just how i want our wedding. the personal attendant idea is good though...and idk if shed be comfortable/do a good job with a reading. it will be a traditional church ceremony
  • edited December 2011
    Just an FYI usually the junior bridesmaid doesn't walk down with a GM, so you wouldn't have a 22 year walking a 13 year old down the aisle.  The weddings I have been in or to they either walked alone, with another junior BM or with a junior GM.  It's sounds like you aren't going to budge on having her be inthe wedding party because you want it symmetrical.  (And they don't have to be, many weddings are not, it's not all about being "even")   Are you having a flower girl/ring bearer?  She could the the ring attendant and wear  a smaller version of the bm dresses and simply carry the rings.  Or perhaps there is something else she can do in the service, a reader as PP, or the gift bearer.  Good luck!
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    i already have a ring bearer and flower girl...idk where she can be involved. i dont want her doing a reading either b/c i dont think shes the best person for it.
  • edited December 2011
    It sounds like you don't really like her very much. ;) jk. But really, I would say she could help with the gifts or help people sign in at the guest book. Being 13, I think this is an age where she would feel really special getting the chance to help out and feeling important. Or could she even pass out bubbles at the end if you are having anything like that?
  • edited December 2011
    ooo thats a good idea...i want flower petals tossed in the air when we leave the church...i do like her i just want everything to be perfect and shes very well childish
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards