Iowa-Des Moines

Wedding Dress

I'm coming to Des Moines (central meeting point for families) to go shopping for a wedding dress. I'm working with a budget and need to find a dress that I love and doesn't break the bank. Does anyone have any recommendations of where to go?

Re: Wedding Dress

• edited December 2011
    David's Bridal has some really nice gowns that aren't overly expensive.
  • edited December 2011
    We found some good ones at "bridal connection" that weren't too over priced - and Shaffers had dresses in sections by price - so that can be helpful! Good luck - and have fun!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • ToBeMrs2011ToBeMrs2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went through Weddings By Design in West Des Moines.  It's a small shop, they are really nice and helpful.  And because I was lucky enough (a miracle, I tell you) to find my dress that first day, they gave me a 10% discount on the price of my gown.  

Hope you have a great time trying on dresses! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I don't know anywhere in Des Moines, but in Rock Valley, there's a shop called A Touch Of Elegance and they're amazing. I just got my dress there for $99.00. They're being flexible on prices trying to make room for the new dresses. Plus, the help is great. And it's just a neat little town. Definently worth checking out. 
  • edited December 2011
    I got mine at Bridal Connection in Ankeny, but Stacy's and David's Bridal had some good ones in Des Moines too. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Schaffer's staff was wonderful to me and its handy that they have their dresses separated by price range. This is a good time to go because many are trying to clear their stock for new Winter/Spring styles that are coming in.
  • edited December 2011
    My daughter in law has a new dress that was purchased last year at bridal connection in Ankeny,  She has never worn it.  They postponed the wedding and then got a completely different dress.  This one for sell did cost around $1000 but I believe she is going to sell it for $500.  size 10 Let me know if you are interested.  We live just outside of Des Moines and I would be happy to send pictures. 

My daughter also has a dress that she did use for her wedding for sale.  It is a plus size 20 I believe.

Thanks
    Deanna
  • edited December 2011

Schaffer's has phenomenal service.  If you go anytime soon, they are having an off-the-rack sale with a selection of dresses up front.  Otherwise, it is separated by price.  The lowest-price dress I saw (not on an off-the-rack sale) was $650.

Stacy's also has great service--very different atmosphere than Schaffer's, but enjoyable and helpful.  They had a good selection of dresses for around $800, too!

I'm not sure what your budget is, but most places will require half-down and offer a lay-away (interest-free).  You can pay each month until the dress is paid!

• edited December 2011

Schaffers!!! I got my dress here! They are AMAZING and wonderful to work with. I did go over my budget but it was well worth it.  They have a variety of price ranges as well. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards