Iowa-Des Moines

Ideas for an Amana Colonies barn wedding?

My fiance and I are very laid-back people who love anything with a vintage, country, old time appeal so we fell in love with the idea of a barn wedding, and happened to find a barn in the amana colonies, which we both have German ancestry so we thought this would fit us even better!  We initially wanted a spring wedding, but the barn was booked clear untill Fall of 2012 so we booked it for October and are trying to rethink colors and what not.  Does anybody have any neat decorating ideas for a fall vintage barn wedding?  My fiance HATES orange and typical fall colored weddings so I think we are going with plum and light or sky blue (our favorite color). Anyone have opinions on that color combination?

Oh, and the wedding and reception will BOTH be in the barn.  We want to cut down on traveling/driving time for our out of town guests.
Photobucket

Re: Ideas for an Amana Colonies barn wedding?

• edited December 2011
    Where is this place located? I wish I had known about it. I love love love barns. I am having an October wedding and using the colors champagne, brown, and a very very soft rose pink color that will only show with a few things. I'm also doing pheasant feathers in my bridesmaids bouquets.
  • edited December 2011
    Ok you said amana colonies but I dont know where that is...:)
  • edited December 2011
    I have had this picture in my wedding folder for ever. I love this picture so I saved it for some inspiration.
    Anniversary
  • RockerBride89RockerBride89 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Amanas are in central eastern Iowa, kind of between Cedar Rapids and Iowa City. The colonies were built in the mid 1800's and they try to keep the original homes and shops as close to the original condition as possible so it feels like time has stood still there.  It's just a fun place to visit too!
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011

I think you can really pull of any color in the fall except maybe bright colors like pink or purples.  Though I think an eggplant would be pretty or like you said plum.  I can't really envision it with the sky blue, but I am sure it would be pretty.  I think muted colors would be lovely.  Is your FI against browns?  I think you have lots of options!

I think the barn idea is great!!  Love the Colonies!

Anniversary
  • sdose13sdose13 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have an October wedding this year and am using eggplant as my main color. I'm accenting with charcoal and orange. Light blue would be pretty, as would a sage green with the dark purple color.
  • medusia00medusia00 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Really with a fall wedding you could do any colors!!

-Jess that picture is amazing!
    Sept 11, April Siggy, HM Picture!!
    On a Boat, with our Flippy-Floppies!
    Anniversary
    Want to see my Bio? PM Me!!
    Wifey Shenanigans & Day Zero
  • RockerBride89RockerBride89 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_iowa-des-moines_ideas-amana-colonies-barn-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:80Discussion:71c69d31-0275-4dfc-8b27-21c411d8d039Post:541df0f1-a414-41e3-b5a8-71bdf3646392">Re: Ideas for an Amana Colonies barn wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think you can really pull of any color in the fall except maybe bright colors like pink or purples.  Though I think an eggplant would be pretty or like you said plum.  I can't really envision it with the sky blue, but I am sure it would be pretty.  I think muted colors would be lovely.  Is your FI against browns?  I think you have lots of options! I think the barn idea is great!!  Love the Colonies!
    Posted by ks107021[/QUOTE]

Yeah he's not big on browns either.  He's really particular about these sorts of things lol.  Plum would be the main color, and we would use just little details of the sky blue here and there.  Luckily my future bro-in-law is really artistic and has been giving me some advice on how to make this all work.  I absoluty adore the Colonies as well!  I love visiting all of the shops and coming home with their delicious wine and cheese :)
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    I found this site when I was searching Amana weddings- We chose the golf course in amana.

These pictures are amazing!
    http://www.ericyerke.com/laura-adam-festhalle-barn-amana-colonies/
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards