Iowa-Des Moines
Options

Des Moines Botanical Gardens

Has anyone had or been to a wedding at the botanical gardens in Des Moines?  My guy and I are really interested and think it would be a beautiful location.

Re: Des Moines Botanical Gardens

• Options
    medusia00medusia00 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to a wedding there in the summer time, and it was HOT and sticky. Very pretty, and the pictures from it are amazing...But very hot and sticky, I left the party early.
    So if you were having it in the spring, or fall or winter, it would be great!!
    Sept 11, April Siggy, HM Picture!!
    On a Boat, with our Flippy-Floppies!
    Anniversary
    Want to see my Bio? PM Me!!
    Wifey Shenanigans & Day Zero
  • Options
    EJPintEJPint member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree.  I went to one in June several years ago, and it was beautiful, but a couple of the guests nearly passed out.  It gets hot in a hurry, especially in suits, tuxes and dresses.

We held a sorority formal there in college as well - the gardens are pretty, but the rooms they have for receptions are, well, pretty bland.  You could do worse, though!  Just a few things to keep in mind if you decide to hold it there - time of year, especially!!!  Smile
    Natural m/c 8/31/12 at 11 wks BFP #2 - Due August 16!
  • Options
    nicw78nicw78 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks girls for the quick response!  We are shooting for November so probably no worries on the heat.  I kind of thought the same for the rooms but the dome is so beautiful I can''t decide if they cancel each other out! 
  • Options
    msdifrancomsdifranco member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are having our wedding there in October and plan to have cold bottled water and hand held paper fans for our guests just in case.  We just couldn't resist the place since it was one of our fist dates.  I think if you didn't do it in the summer, it would be a beautiful place to have a wedding.  I picked a dress without a train because of the possibility of it getting dirty and advised my girls not to wear high heels becuase of the floor. 
  • Options
    smileymetsmileymet member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My sister got married there a few years ago.  She got married in May and it was HOT HOT HOT...so make is a short ceremony as far as that goes.  Another thing that I don't think other people mentioned is the noise.  I think right as the ceremony started these big fans turned on and we couldn't hear a thing...my grandpa did the wedding and he's hard to hear anyway but makre sure to have a mic!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards