Iowa-Des Moines

Groom's Cake

I get a question for you girls. Before living here I haven't heard of the groom's cake and ordering this was not in my plans. But my stepdaughter spent a lot of time doing a pretty ceramic plate with Iowa state format (FI home state) and with two models of me and FI dressed as bride and groom and holding hands, everything in our wedding colors. It is so nice of her and so pretty that I wanted to add to the wedding looks and FI came up with this idea. So, when and where we are supposed to serve this cake? At the rehearsal dinner or at the wedding reception? I'd love to have it at the rehearsal dinner because we will have a lot of desserts at the wedding dinner. Please, give me your suggestions!!!

Re: Groom's Cake

• saraann62saraann62 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am not sure the "rules" on the groom's cake, I think that it usually just sits at the reception and no one eats it?????  I think that it is a great idea to have it at your rehearsal dinner since you said that you will be having a large rehearsal dinner.  If you need names of people who make cakes just let me know!
  • edited December 2011
    I have seen it served both places.  I think it would be really cute at the rehearsal dinner though.  That was really sweet of your stepdaughter to make that.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I've seen them at the wedding and it is served. the last wedding I went to the groom's cake was chocolate and the main cake was white cake.
  • edited December 2011

Ya it's usually served at the reception, so there are more than one cake flavor served. We will be having our groom's cake at the reception, but I'm sure the rehearsal dinner would be fine!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • kholle13kholle13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are having pies for the grooms cake because my FI loves pie. We are serving them at the reception. Since it's a newer tradition I think it's totally up to you.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • medusia00medusia00 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it can be done at either, I plan on having a Ice Cream Cake at the RD as part of the grooms cake. With you saying that you have a lot of desserts for the Wedding I would have it at the RD.
    Sept 11, April Siggy, HM Picture!!
    On a Boat, with our Flippy-Floppies!
    Anniversary
    Want to see my Bio? PM Me!!
    Wifey Shenanigans & Day Zero
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks girls,  I will have it served definitively at the RD! I want to give a special attention to her work, and at the wedding along with other desserts it may not have the attention she deserves!
  • MaggieandJakeMaggieandJake member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are having our groom's cake at the rehearsal dinner.  Our bakery (in MN) give us a discount on our GC if we order our wedding cake from them. 
    "All that I'm after is a lifetime of laughter, as long as I'm laughing with you"
    Photobucket
    Anniversary
    Photobucket
    My Crafting Blog
    Married Bio
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards