Iowa-Des Moines

Reception ideas please!!

We're trying to find reception locations in Des Moines or the surrounding areas. The wedding will be in a church in Altoona.  I am hoping to find something a little more rustic for the reception....a barn would be ideal.  I'm not originally from Des Moines.  I was wondering if anyone had an ideas for me that I may not have necessarily come across already via internet searches.  Any ideas would be appreciated!  Thanks! Smile
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Reception ideas please!!

• edited December 2011
    There is a barn in Johnston that does receptions. There's also Jester Park Lodge north of Johnston, I guess it may technically be in Polk City (?). Those are the only ones I can think of immediately that are rustic.
    Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    We are doing our reception at the Simpson Barn in Johnston. It is a great space!  Pretty affordable to rent and you can use own caterer and bring in own alcohol.  
  • edited December 2011
    I didn't care so much for the barn in Johnston but we are having our reception at Living History Farms. It's beautiful but it pretty much leaves 45 mins for set up. The museum closes at 5:00 so our wedding is at 5:30 and our guests will arrive at the barn around 6, 615. We hired a coordinator to help. The lighting can be done the night before and the chair covers can be put on and set up in the "corn crib" to save on time for the actual day. I absolutely love it! Our wedding is September 25th and I can show you some pictures afterwards if youre interested :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Andy & Erin
  • edited December 2011
    Oh and theres no air conditioning or heat so it needs to be in a time that will be okay :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Andy & Erin
  • ToBeMrs2011ToBeMrs2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    @erin_nichole,  I would love to see pictures, thanks so much!  Our wedding would be in early October 2011, I wonder if it would be too chilly? 

@imjustagirlinlove, do you know the capacity of the Simpson Barn? 

After I originally posted this, my mom came to visit and we looked at some reception sites (none rustic or barns) mostly in the downtown area.  While some of them were beautiful, we either questioned whether the space would feel cramped  or there was no outdoor space (patio/balcony, etc).  

Also after speaking with both my parents, it seems like 250 guests would be a more accurate number to actually attend.  I feel like this also limits our choices because we need to make sure and find a place that will accommodate that large number of people.  

Has anyone heard about the Hilton Garden Inn in Johnston?  I believe they have a patio but don't know how easily accessible it is from their ballroom.  

Any other ideas?  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards