Iowa-Des Moines
Options

Where are you having your ceremony and reception?

Hi Des Moines Knotties! I don't have anything picked out for my wedding yet (we got engaged in April). I'm just trying to get some ideas of where to have a wedding and reception in Des Moines and/or surrounding areas. So, what venue did you pick and why?
Thanks!!

Re: Where are you having your ceremony and reception?

• Options
    nataliesdunnnataliesdunn member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We choose DSM GCC, i didn't like the others...not fancy enough. and I loved Hotel Fort Des Moines, but they're closing due to renovations. Many ppl have had them at Forte (don't like their ceilings), Captial Room ( plastic Chandeliers), the list continutes...if you need more help, let me know!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am furtunate enough to have our wedding and reception at the clubhouse where my brother and sis-n-law live in Bondurant for free. However, I did do some research and looked at a few other places. What kind of place are you looking for? How much do you want to spend? I may be able to give you some ideas as well.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i'm having mine at my mom's. she runs a retirement home with a beautiful gazebo and flower garden and the reception and Val Lanes!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We got married in Hawaii, but we're having a local reception at Toad Valley Golf Course in Pleasant Hill. I liked them because most of the costs are included in the price, rather than having to pay for linens, etc. Also, they seem to be easy to work with so far.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're getting married at Candle Lit Way Wedding Chapel in Dallas Center and then having the reception at Fleming's Steakhouse in West Des Moines.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are having the ceremony and reception at Hickory Park Hall in Ames.  I love it.  We both attended ISU, we LOVE hickory park, as do our family members.

And...the rental fee ($2000) is waived after your food/alcohol bill reaches $2000.

Just a thought...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are having our ceremony and reception at gateway hotel in ames.  They have a patio outside that has a waterfall next to it where the ceremony will be.  they have a promotion right now that waives the food and beverage minimum otherwise I would not be able to afford it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    we are coming up on our 1 year anniversary, but got married at the hotel fort des moines in the wedgwood ballroom and had our reception in the grand ballroom. depending on when you get married, they may be reopened.
    some local places:
    scottish rite
    catchlight studios
    temple for the performing arts
    sticks
    living history farms
  • Options
    ltykaltyka member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're getting married in the Recital Hall at the Temple for Performing Arts, then having our reception in the Grand Ballroom, also at the Temple.  Both rooms are BEAUTIFUL.  But there is an exclusive caterer - the Des Moines Embassy Club.  The food is really good, but pricey.  (They did have a fantastic tasting though!)  If you're interested, you should contact them soon - they book up way in advance.  We were 16 months out and our date was taken, so we had to alter it.

Like some of the other posters, we looked at Hotel Fort Des Moines but they were closing.  Also, the outdoor venue at the Historical Building was very cool - but we didn't want to worry about weather.  The Lodge at Jester Park with a huge deck overlooking Saylorville Lake is really great too, if you can get past the animal heads on the wall.  (I couldn't.)  Hoyt Sherman Place is beautiful and classy too - but can hold only about 100 people.

Good luck!  Looking is fun!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I didn't get married in des moines, but I think that a great venue is Baratta's cafe and balcony in the State Historical Museum right next to the Capital downtown.  My fiance threw a cocktail party there a few years ago and it was awesome.  IT's a third floor patio, and there are great views of downtown on one side and the capital on the other.  They're open to and able to accomodate a dj or a band easily and you can do whatever you want for decorations.  They do catering exclusively through Barattas, but they did a great job with an appetizer spread and the staff they sent to work the party were super friendly and accomodating.  I didn't think that the price was outrageous either and we had a lot of pretty heavy drinkers in attendance.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're having ours at the  Blank Park Zoo in Des Moines.  They have a cool room overlooking an indoor waterfall and zoo exhibits, and our guests are able to walk around the zoo after hours since our ceremony is in an outdoor pavilion.  Great for the kids in attendance!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Our reception and ceremony are both at the Simpson Barn in Johnston, they have all of the tables and chairs, but you need to provide most everything else. There is a kitchen there. You can use whatever caterer you want. The only downfall is that the upstairs of the barn isn't air conditioned. That's why I chose September! But it's a cool place.

Other ideas...the botanical center, you can do inside and outside both. The Art Center is great! You can use the Simon Estes Amphitheater downtown and have the reception at the Embassy Suites, it's right across the street.

There are lots of unique places, it just depends what you're looking for.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Our reception is going to be at the Historical Building downtown. Reading AlliMG's post about it made me pretty excited! The Jester Park Lodge was a close second, but the start time just wouldn't work out for us.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I love all these suggestions ladies!!!
    We do want something that's a little different and not so predictable. I like the kinds of places where you can do both the ceremony and reception at the same place. I want some place a little modern but also classic and traditional. Just something that we won't look back on the pictures and think it's out of date or something. I'm sure we will find something. We haven't even picked out a date or anything. i think it's just going to depend on which place we like best.
    My top faves right now are:
    State Historical Building
    DSM Art Center
    Jester Park Lodge
    Summerset Winery
    It's quite strange because I haven't been to any of these places except the Art Center and that was many years ago. So maybe I should go check these places out soon!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Another option that I don't think was mentioned was the Science Center. I think that would be really cool to have it there.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My fiance and I have degrees in science and we are definitely looking into the Science Center. I have looked at the Downtown Marriott, very nice facility and reasonable for what all you get and how nice the building is, they just remodeled not all that long ago so the general decor is nice. My sorority had our formal at the Downtown Embassy Suites once, yet again nice facility but I haven't checked on the prices at this time. We are considering the Capitol Room but haven't looked to far into it and hearing about the plastic chandeliers kinda makes me wonder.

My dad's best friend owns Happy Apple Orchard southwest of DSM (in between Cumming and Norwalk). They have a big facility and are working very hard to spruce it up from a hunting goods store/archery range to an events center. I went out there the other night while they had a Grand Opening event and it was a lot nicer then I thought/remembered. Their property includes 2 ponds and of course apple trees. We are considering this facility because our tentative wedding date is 9/17/11 which is during apple season and I had a lot of great memories there growing up. If this is something that interests you their email address is happyappletime@gmail.com and the owners are Rick and Sue. Ok I will stop trying to promote a friend's facility now! :)

Happy Reception Spot Hunting!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    What are the prices like at the Blank Park Zoo? Do they do the catering? How does it all work out there? I'd appreciate any and all help.
    Thanks so much!
    -Sarah
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am not using the zoo, but here is a link with information from their website. They don't cater themselves, but use Johnny's Italian Steakhouse as their "preferred" caterer.

http://www.blankparkzoo.com/en/party__rental_facilities/wedding_packages.cfm
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Mishy! :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    No problem :)
  • Options
    xandxheartsxxandxheartsx member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My fiance and I are having our ceremony in my parents front yard and our reception at Raccoon River Nature Lodge. If you have a smaller guest list (Of say, around 100 people), they have a beautiful facility! And the rental fee is on the cheaper end of the places I looked at.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I looked online at the Racoon River Nature Lodge too! It looks pretty cool. I didn't realize the size of it though. 100 people is the max? that might not work out.

I'm still searching!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh my Stars - are we the only one's getting married in a Church????
  • Options
    LesJo81LesJo81 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi all!

We really want the Jester Park Lodge, so we will see. Our date is tentatively 10/8/11.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    LesJo81 - I really liked the Jester Park Lodge too but didn't like any of the dates for 2011 they have available. Congrats on picking a place and date!!
  • Options
    ToBeMrs2011ToBeMrs2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    @EllenG27 - did you decide on your venue yet?  

We're still trying to figure out our reception location.  Our wedding will be at a church in Altoona.  I think our issue is that we have a relatively large wedding, expecting approximately 250 to attend (blame the big families) so I've found our venue choices have been narrowed due to the large size.  We also want a space with some outdoor space included....a patio or balcony....but most of the venues we've looked at downtown do not have that.  

I know that there isn't going to be a "perfect" venue, we'll have to overlook something at whatever site we ultimately choose...I just hope that we can find something with a good balance of the things we want.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards