Iowa-Des Moines

Need Opinions

Hello fellow Des Moines knotties! This is my first post on the DSM board so let me briefly introduce myself. I am recently engaged and originally from DSM but I live in Dallas, TX. We are planning to get married in September 2012 in DSM.

So now for my question...I have been searching the internet high and low for places to have our ceremony. We don't want to get married in a church and although we would love to have an outdoor wedding I don't want to have to worry about weather. I found The Center at Ankeny Memorial and loved the decor and thought it would be perfect for our ceremony but then realized that it's primary use is a funeral home and then they book events there outside of the memorial services. I know churches are used for both weddings and funerals but just can't decide whether it would be weird to get married in a "funeral home."

Hopefully you all can give me your opinions and help me decide what to do!

Re: Need Opinions

• edited December 2011
    How many people are you having?  That will help narrow some places down...
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • medusia00medusia00 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

Have you thought about the Botanical Center? another good one is the Racoon River Nature Lodge!!

BTW, Welcome to the board!!

Sept 11, April Siggy, HM Picture!!
    On a Boat, with our Flippy-Floppies!
    Anniversary
    Want to see my Bio? PM Me!!
    Wifey Shenanigans & Day Zero
  • McsweetsMcsweets member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Does it advertise anywhere that its a funeral home?  If not, I think that is fine!  If it says it on the sign or somewhere, I would be a little hesitant ... just my opinion!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I just drove by there this last weekend.  I think on the outside of he building it just says Ankeny memorial.  However, the cemetery is right there, so there is really no mistaking that they are connected.  Like PP said, there are some really beautiful non church locations to get married around here. September is still nice enough weather that you could even find an outdoor location.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Someone already suggested it, but the Raccoon River Park Nature Lodge is where my ceremony is, this September! I think it's gorgeous! It can accomodate 150 people or so.
    We also highly considered the Des Moines Botanical Center. They do have an outdoor area that is really pretty. I also considered doing a ceremony indoors there because I was in the same boat as you - didn't want to deal with weather.
    Some friends of mine got married last year in Grimes, at the Gortz Haus Gallery. It was really nice.
    Good luck!
  • milesbellamilesbella member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're getting married at Copper Creek Golf Club in Pleasant Hill on their covered outside patio, followed by an indoor reception.  The patio is covered and they also have sides they can pull down if it rains. 
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you for all of your opinions! Although the decor reallly fits the style of our wedding I don't think I feel comfortable getting married in a "funeral home." I'll check out some of the place that were mentioned and keep looking! :)
  • ceceibsonceceibson member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Temple for the Performing Arts downtown.  Beautiful building and rooms.  I don't know anything about the specifics [cost, number of people, etc.].  It is next door to Centro, which is a very good Italian restaurant.  Also next to the new-ish Central Library and amazing Pappajohn outdoor sculpture garden.

If I were getting married in Des Moines, those are the places I would look at.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Jester Park Lodge (that would have been my top choice!)

Hoyt Sherman Place

Des Moines Art Center

Des Moines Science Center

• edited December 2011
    We had both our ceremony & reception at the Blank Park Zoo and couldn't have been happier. It's just like any space (we did both indoor and outdoor) only with an added element of fun for the guests.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards