Iowa-Des Moines
Options

What can I say.

We have our date set. It so happens that our date will fall on our 6 1/2 year anniversary(i think it's special) 9-24-11. It's a saturday. College football is played on saturdays. Anyway, since we have been engaged and picked our date my mom has been telling me that she will miss my wedding if there is a hawkeye football game on T.V. that day.Apparently I didn't check the schedule well enough. The other day my mom tells me on facebook that i need to change the date of my wedding because there is a hawkeye football game that day..I guess she isn't coming...super...
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: What can I say.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh jeez, that's ridiculous!  I really hope that when it comes down to it, she will attend your wedding over watching a football game.  Do you want to change the date? It is far enough in advance to do so if you haven't put anything down yet, but it's also your wedding and you should have it when you want, imo.  Good luck with whatever you decide!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i would think that even though it's football (HAWEYES ROCK!!) season she would miss one game for your wedding....lol you can always tell her I'll text her updates on the game during the reception!lol
  • Options
    HawkteacherHawkteacher member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow.  I know of friends throwing a bit of a fit (in fact my fiance (not even bf at the time) skipped a friend's ceremony and came to the reception because he didn't want to miss a Hawkeye game), but not such important family members as mothers.  I would guess that she's just being difficult now, but will definitely come to your wedding.  Maybe you could put tvs at your reception to show the game (we had friends who did that to appease guests).
  • Options
    singprouddkmsingprouddkm member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wouldn't care so much if it wasn't my mom saying this. She is a FANATIC and so is my sister. I mean when they watch the games they scream, cry, and yell. It's just obonxious. I just don't want that to happen during my reception...But there will be a t.v. and they can watch if they want.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    medusia00medusia00 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That's crazy, the day of my wedding is the Iowa-Iowa State game, So my FI said he'd setup a TV in the room near where the food is going to be for people to watch the game in there. I think when it comes down to it your Mom will be there with you, she might take a few mins out to check on the game, or to be funny you could get her one of those mini tv's that are only black and white, but tell her if she does watch it, it needs to be after the ceremony and only outside!

GL!
    Sept 11, April Siggy, HM Picture!!
    On a Boat, with our Flippy-Floppies!
    Anniversary
    Want to see my Bio? PM Me!!
    Wifey Shenanigans & Day Zero
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The ONLY reason I would consider changing the date is if you have the wedding in Iowa City during the game. That would be insane for parking and driving to venues. Other than that, in the age of DVRs she can get over missing it live for a big day in your life.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That is ridiculous... Tell her to get her priorities in place!! I did however check the schedule before I picked a date (no home game, in fact, it is a by-week) but I wouldn't have moved it even if it were. Unless it was the Iowa-Iowa St. game... because if that were the case I would probably skip my own wedding... :) just kidding, kind of.... btw... we are a house divided. I am an Iowa alum, my fi is a Hick State grad. ew.....
    ~basquing in the wedded bliss~
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards