Iowa-Des Moines

Florists? Great & inexpensive!

I'm looking for a great and inexpensive florist, in Des Moines/West Des Moines? Anybody have ideas?
I've contacted Something Chic Floral and the Mills Civic HyVee and they are both in the $500s. I consider it the basics - bouquets for me and 4 bridesmaids, toss bouquet, boutonnieres for groom, 4 groomsmen, 2 dads and 2 ushers, 1 ringbearer, 2 mom's corsages, 1 grandma corsage, and petals for flower girl. Ok, so maybe that was a lot of things, but just the ceremony basics, no big centerpieces or arrangements.
I was really hoping to spend more like $300-400. Is that not very realistic? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Re: Florists? Great & inexpensive!

• milesbellamilesbella member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Try Doherty's Flowers on 2nd Avenue.
    1536 2nd Ave
    Des Moines, IA 50314

(515) 288-6557

I didn't use them but have a friend who did and she was very happy.  Honestly $500 is probably about right for what you're looking for (depending on your flower choices and size of your bouquets).
  • edited December 2011

You're best option would probably be to go to a florist and tell them what your price range is.  A good florist will be able to stick to your budget.  What flowers are you thinking of using, some flowers are a lot cheaper than others.  I am using Cynthia Betts for my flowers.  I had a really hard time finding anyone that could stick to my budget, but Cynthia did and I love her.  She has such awesome ideas and she is so much fun to work with!

Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    We are using something chic-VERY impressed with her prices. Also went to hyvee and they're working on a quote, but the lady told me I'd have troube staying under my $1000 budget. Something chic is doing mine for 900!
  • edited December 2011
    I am using The Florist on 5th in Valley Junction. I am getting everything that you are getting minus the flower girl petals, and I will only have 3 bridesmaids and 3 groomsmen. I am getting it all for $320.00 and she is soooo awsome and easygoing to work with. She will work with your budget. She said her bride bouquets usually run 80 to 100. Her bridesmaid bouquets don't usually go higher than $40. Consults are free. Toss bouquets are free. She provides the ribbon and wiring and all that jazz for no extra cost. I think it's just $15 for delivery. Anyways I was really pretty impressed with her.
  • edited December 2011
    Just got my official quote from Something Chic:

1 bridal bouquet
    6 BM bouquets
    22 bouts (including my FI to have a different one)
    17 corsages (including additional flowers on mothers corsages)
    1 guestbook/toss bouquet
    10 LARGE centerpieces, including vase rental, submerged flower, & floating candle
    10 small centerpieces, including vase rental and submerged flower
    Delivery, set-up & pick-up of rental items is included in our quote

All of our flowers are yellow roses.

Total, including tax: $985

I'm VERY impressed with her!  Check it out at www.somethingchicfloral.com
  • sdose13sdose13 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm going with Originals by Beck in Bondurant. Her prices were so low I couldn't believe it. Also, when it comes to centerpieces and things like vases, she just lets you borrow, you don't even have to rent.
  • edited December 2011

I also think you will have to go up to 500 for your flower budget . I had about that same request for flowers and we paid like 550.  Check with Irene's Flowers, she is down in the Drake neighborhood.  Phone number is (515)274-3859.  The owner's name is Linda.

• edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the advice ladies! I am contacting The Florist on 5th for another consultation. It's just nice to do some comparison shopping and see what is the 'going price' for everything. Thanks again!
  • edited December 2011
    Let me know what you think of the florist on 5th. I loved her!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards