Iowa-Des Moines

Low budget wedding venues in or around Des Moines-new to the area?? :)

We have a low budget like 5 grand at best to spend on a wedding or really a party after we get married but I have not found any venues that are cheap enough-other than the zoo?!! Any ideas? I was thinking of getting married at the botanical gardens and then finding a place to have the reception...or party won't be a formal reception lol.

Re: Low budget wedding venues in or around Des Moines-new to the area?? :)

• cemetreesccemetreesc member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited April 2012
    how many people were you thinking and how much have you budgeted for the venue?? it will give me an idea of places
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Have you tried the Scotish Rite building downtown? My fiance and I were looking into at one time and it is goregous. I don't know the prices off the top of my head but if you're looking for a pretty spot, I would recommend going to see it. You could also try Lotus Events located in the East Village of Des Moines. Again, I don't know thier prices but they look pretty nice from their website and a few of my friends have had receptions there. I hope this helps :) Congrats!
  • I would check into city or county community centers. I know the Johnston Community Center is $60 per hour which includes use or all tables and chairs. You can also use your own caterer so that helps to control cost. I'm not sure if there is a place to have the ceremony at the community centers but you can look into parks, they're usually free or a very small rental fee; however, you would have to rent chairs. 
  • Depending on how many people you have, you should check out the Simpson Barn. I think the Windsor Heights Community Center is reasonable as well. 
  • I've heard the Windsor Heights Community Center is a great price and very nice. Also Racoon River is a good place as well.
    Sept 11, April Siggy, HM Picture!!
    On a Boat, with our Flippy-Floppies!
    Anniversary
    Want to see my Bio? PM Me!!
    Wifey Shenanigans & Day Zero
  • I am having mine @ Ankeny Lake View Community center you can bring your own food and kegs. If you know some one that lives in ankeny its only $400 dollars.
  • The $400 is for all day and includes tables and chairs for 250 people
  • I would choose Racoon River over Windsor Heights.  I recently had my reception there and we ran into issues.  Only recently after numerous phone calls did they finally send us a very small refund, still not apology.  See review below:

Windsor Heights Community and Events Center - The venue is really pretty, not your typical "hotel banquet hall" which is normally just a room.  Glass windows all around and their new high tech equipment is great.  Few things to warn you about:  The assistant who runs the place, Tracy is a bit difficult to work with.  She is very particular about the place and the way it's run... not accommodating at all.  The day of the wedding the 3 "on call" people didn't answer their phones when we were trying to set up the venue and couldn't get into the building.  Someone did answer but didn't care about our situation.  We paid extra to have more time and after about 45 min. without anything being done my family ended up having to call the Windsor Heights police to unlock the doors because neither her nor the staff would call us back/didn't seem to care.  There was never even follow up to see if things got resolved.

Also, the place is reserved per hour only which can be a positive or negative (they also upped their fees).  Nothing is set up for you and you have to do all the clean up (moping/re-stacking all the tables/chairs/etcetera so be prepared to have people to help you.  Also make sure to read the contract thoroughly especially the alcohol policy because it is confusing since you can bring in your own.  
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_iowa-des-moines_low-budget-wedding-venues-in-or-around-des-moines-new-to-the-area?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:80Discussion:d2c4cc13-5e15-42aa-b592-39028c6d0934Post:f0387a98-8c43-4811-8265-163588c211cd">Re: Low budget wedding venues in or around Des Moines-new to the area?? :)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would choose Racoon River over Windsor Heights.  I recently had my reception there and we ran into issues.  Only recently after numerous phone calls did they finally send us a very small refund, still not apology.  See review below: Windsor Heights Community and Events Center - The venue is really pretty, not your typical "hotel banquet hall" which is normally just a room.  Glass windows all around and their new high tech equipment is great.  Few things to warn you about:  The assistant who runs the place, Tracy is a bit difficult to work with.  She is very particular about the place and the way it's run... not accommodating at all.  The day of the wedding the 3 "on call" people didn't answer their phones when we were trying to set up the venue and couldn't get into the building.  Someone did answer but didn't care about our situation.  We paid extra to have more time and after about 45 min. without anything being done my family ended up having to call the Windsor Heights police to unlock the doors because neither her nor the staff would call us back/didn't seem to care.  There was never even follow up to see if things got resolved. Also, the place is reserved per hour only which can be a positive or negative (they also upped their fees).  Nothing is set up for you and you have to do all the clean up (moping/re-stacking all the tables/chairs/etcetera so be prepared to have people to help you.  Also make sure to read the contract thoroughly especially the alcohol policy because it is confusing since you can bring in your own.  
    Posted by kmcillece771[/QUOTE]

<div>she better not do this to me or i would totally demand a refund for the time i didnt have the center, given that you pay per hour. i would also complain to the city, as i think she is a city worker and if she cannot do her job appropriately, she should be replaced! my wedding is there on may 18 next year</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I had my wedding ceremony at the Raccoon River Nature Lodge. It's gorgeous! I had seen on our photographer's website that another wedding she did, the couple got married outside on the patio area and then had the reception inside. If I remember correctly it was $1100/1200 for a 10 hour period. So for both maybe that would be in the budget?
    I do remember that outside at the Botanical Center was a good price and it's super pretty.
  • Depends what you consider cheap and what you're looking for capacity wise... Here's what was on the top of our list:

La Vida Loca Winery just West of Indianola is $1,100 (but it'll depend on your guest list). THey say 150 capacity, but I was scared it would be too small.

Fort Des Moines Museum was around $1,100 for the chapel and the museum but I think that was only for 10 hours.

Blank Park Golf Course was reasonable (although I don't remember for sure what the rates were).

We wnded up booking with Two Saints Winery in St Charles (about half an hour away) They were $1,300. Capacity tehre was about 200 and we have the entire venue from 9am - midnight. (the Banquet room, a 200 person deck, AND the vineyard.) AND  if there's no event the next day you can come back the next day to finish tearing down and cleaning.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_iowa-des-moines_low-budget-wedding-venues-in-or-around-des-moines-new-to-the-area?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:80Discussion:d2c4cc13-5e15-42aa-b592-39028c6d0934Post:56b3edbe-51f2-4c32-93b5-e4ff2ee4e141">Re: Low budget wedding venues in or around Des Moines-new to the area?? :)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Low budget wedding venues in or around Des Moines-new to the area?? :) : she better not do this to me or i would totally demand a refund for the time i didnt have the center, given that you pay per hour. i would also complain to the city, as i think she is a city worker and if she cannot do her job appropriately, she should be replaced! my wedding is there on may 18 next year
    Posted by cemetreesc[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>I originally had my September 7th wedding of this year scheduled there as well at Windosr Heights and I ended up canceling there and losing almost 600 dollars I have already paid!</div><div>She called and told me 7 months after we scheduled everything that she forgot to add in the price of the pavilion and it'd be another 300! pluse I would have to pay to do a rehearsal there the night before. She originally told me that the 200 security deposit they would keep and I could have them clean up. Then several months later told me never mind they can't do that anymore. I have wanted to go in there so we could get an idea how we could set up but she would NOT work around anyone's schedule. We HAD to be there before she left monday - Friday before 5 pm. As a person in the Customer Service Industry, if you want to get customers you will work with them as much as you can but she was not willing to do anything!</div>
  • somerlynn87somerlynn87 member
    Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited May 2013
    For Ceremony Only at the Scottish Rite is 1200, so that may be doable...I'm considering splitting up the ceremony and reception to control costs and free up budget for food.
  • Johnston Lions Club is $700 for the whole day. Nothing fancy, but you can bring your own caterer, and it's got a beautiful outdoors! Our wedding is June 22 there....so far they've been very accommodating.
  • I just discovered the best kept secret around Des Moines, and booked it for my May 2014 wedding, IF you want to be married outside or use this for just a reception. Check out The Inn at Summerset Winery. Beautiful grounds, no regulations on bringing in your own beverages or food, and it has 7 bedrooms and 6 bathrooms with an 8 person hot tub in the back deck. You can book it for 2 nights, and have a place to stay for immediate family or bridal party (ours is a second wedding, so our adult kids will stay there.) it is beautiful. I am attaching a link at the bottom. I was going to make food, and we decided to hire someone for a hog roast, then I will do the sides. If interested, check out Master Griller in Earlham, IA; a pig to feed 90 people and for them to roast serve, and clean up is $400.00, a bargain. Good luck! http://s1131.photobucket.com/user/summersetwine/slideshow/Inn at Summerset Winery 2011/?albumview=slideshow
  • I forgot, to rent the Inn at Summerset Winery, in Indianola is about $1900.00 for two nights.
  • Working on a 5k budget really requires shopping around.  Scottish Rite is really expensive so I would skip it.  I have done several weddings at Vittoria Lodge - $750 to rent and that comes with a bar area and 2 bartenders on hand so your cash bar is taken care of.  They are great to work with and give you plenty of time to set up and break down.  They also have a large lawn area with some extra chairs so you could do an outdoor ceremony as well...if you wanted to.  Taking a chance to do this in Iowa though.
  • Okay so Ladies my budget is super strict but I have an outside caterer and I am looking for a reasonably priced venue like under 1k for ceremony and reception!!! Is this possible in DMI?? Anyone know how much Embassy Suites on Locust is has anyone heard of the HUB?? What about Happy Apple Celebrations in Norwalk? I need good prices and I'm getting nervous May 2014 Walnut Woods lodge is reserved and I wanted alcohol so we can't just do a open shelter somewhere. I am afraid of using Windsor Heights Comm Center due to the reviews. Any Suggestions or has anyone used the above mentioned places???

• Izaak Walton Banquet Hall.
    Very woodsy/hunting lodge looking, but only $750 for rental and food is VERY well priced. I booked them for the reception. 
  • I'm also looking for something reasonable as we have a small budget for our reception. I see a lot of posts for what I consider "traditional" wedding reception sites. Our reception will have more an adult eclectic feel. Do any of you have suggestions on galleries, studios, or museums that will allow our own caterer in and that also allows alcohol? We don't want to use a park center, community center, hotel, or country club. Ours is a cocktail hour, not a sit down dinner so we're going with more of a party feel. We'd like to serve wine and beer to our guests but no kegs. We're planning for next November so no outside spaces. Thanks!
  • @miller0701 - I am certain you will not be able to rent the Embassy Suites for 1K. Their price is likely around 3K and will be an all-inclusive package with a steep food and beverage minimum. I've actually heard good reviews of Windsor Heights CC. Also check the Capitol Room downtown and the Forte Banquet center.

As a side note, I would be pretty concerned if my wedding was in May 2014 and I hadn't booked a venue. My wedding is actually May 3, 2014 and I booked my venue in last May. I know you have a caterer, but you should generally book a venue before a caterer because so many venues have preferred caterers.
  • @StephOlney - We are using West End Architectural Salvage for the ceremony and reception.  It's AWESOME!  Not super cheap, we're paying $2200 for a Friday night, but using it for both certainly adds value to the deal.
  • The Science Center! They do tons of weddings and have lots of space for a small price tag. Here is a link to their facility rental site, http://www.sciowa.org/engage/facility-rental/
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards