January 2013 Weddings

Starting to freak out... Am I the only Jan 2013 bride without a dress yet?

Hello fellow future brides!

Haven’t introduced myself on this board yet. After much debate, fiancé and I are officially in the Jan 2013 club J We booked our venue and I’m totally in love with it.

Starting to totally freak out about the dress though. I haven’t been shopping yet. My mom lives a state away (4 ½ hour drive) and cant get off work to come here until April to go dress shopping. I am freaking out that this wont be enough time to get a dress in and altered by January. I am my mom’s only daughter so she would be devastated if I went dress shopping without her. Going to her to dress shop is not an option either as she lives in the middle of nowhere.

Don’t know what to do!

Re: Starting to freak out... Am I the only Jan 2013 bride without a dress yet?

• edited February 2012
    I think April is fine. 8-9 months is generally what most people say, yes?

I'm an overachiever and my dress buying experience was both serendipitious and abnormal. I'm not doing anything normally though.

If you're really worried about it, You could start looking at magazine and pictures to get an idea of what you like. Mentally prepare yourself for the experience. Just don't tie yourself down to those ideas. You might find something you love that completely doesn't fit what you thought you wanted.

Welcome to the Jan 2013 boards. :) Congrats on booking your venue!
  • don't worry, you have plenty of time!!!  i'm not going for my first dress shopping appointment until late March
  • dont feel bad i don't have mine either and what really tops it off is my fiance and i just got laid off from amazon.

• I haven't gone shopping yet either! We just booked our venue and ceremony so next is dress shopping! I'm hoping to go in the next few weeks.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • You have plenty of time. I think the standard is 6 months before. Enjoy looking at lots of dresses and take your time!
  • Thanks for the reassurance ladies! Some people buy their dresses over a year in advance so I wasnt sure what the norm was.

• I think it depends on whether or not you're doing a totally custom dress or not.  A dress that is being custom designed and made for you is going to take longer than going to David's Bridal and picking a dress there.  I already have my dress, but I wanted to get as much done before my spring semester started as possible.  We've picked all the major vendors execpt the music already.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Daisypath Graduation tickers
  • I have been itching to go dress shopping, but my mom lives 5 hours away too! We are going the last weekend of March, when she and my sister (my MOH) can come visit. All the salons say it should be plenty of time, in the 6-8 month range. I tried on a few dresses when we all were together for Thanksgiving, and it freaked me out! I didn't know it, but I wasn't ready then, but I am now! 
    White Knot
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    157 invitedimage
    118 accept with pleasureimage
    35 decline with regretsimage
    4 are driving me crazyimage
    RSVP Date: December 15th
  • Go to Atlanta Bride Couture in Alpharetta !!  It was an awesome experience and you will love Sara, the owner.  Everyone wants to get a designer wedding gown and save $$. Prices range from $500 - $3500, and it's a full service salon, alterations, bridesmaids, mother-of-the-bride, etc.  Go to Sara !!  I guarantee you will find an amazing wedding gown.

Need a gown quick ~ Sara sells her floor sample gowns too !!

Atlanta Bride Couture
    404-229-8690
  • posting all over the board PP. Reported..again
  • My mom lives 7 hours away and we have settled on 3/30 for our shopping trip. I needed to travel home for a wedding and will add this to the trip. I don't feel late at all.
  • ur not the only one, im making mine and i havnt even started it yet :) youll be fine
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_january-2013-weddings_starting-to-freak-out-am-i-the-only-jan-2013-bride-without-a-dress-yet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:808dddd9-a33d-4d5f-8a47-f091dcd1c99fDiscussion:45a7b06c-a0fd-4c16-9998-cd3187163850Post:932d8726-2ee0-41e5-a58d-a46e7718e9ae">Starting to freak out... Am I the only Jan 2013 bride without a dress yet?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hello fellow future brides! Haven’t introduced myself on this board yet. After much debate, fiancé and I are officially in the Jan 2013 club J We booked our venue and I’m totally in love with it. Starting to totally freak out about the dress though. I haven’t been shopping yet. My mom lives a state away (4 ½ hour drive) and cant get off work to come here until April to go dress shopping. I am freaking out that this wont be enough time to get a dress in and altered by January. I am my mom’s only daughter so she would be devastated if I went dress shopping without her. Going to her to dress shop is not an option either as she lives in the middle of nowhere. Don’t know what to do!
    Posted by bucky2012[/QUOTE]

Congratulations!  Our date is 1/12/13 and even though I've been looking since May I haven't found a dress.  I don't love anything, I like things but no love.  All the sales people are telling me though to get something ordered because the dress prob won't come in until November/December with just the nick of time to get alterations - yes panic has set in.  Since I'm so picky and rather short finding a dress off the rack for me seems unavailable.  However, you may be luckier and find the dress on the first hunting trip or one right off the rack.  Happy shopping!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards