January 2013 Weddings

Menswear

This is the one thing I am behind on. I have been engaged for 2 years, for God's sake!

What is everybody's guys wearing? I tasked my fiance with this, but he is so clueless. We are leaning towards buying suits. I'm not too particular about matching, so dark suits will be fine with me, even if they don't match exactly. I don't really know the best place to send these guys. One has a suit, fiance and best man don't. (I know, what guy doesn't have a suit?)

Did anybody get a good deal? Had a good experience? If you are comfortable saying what you paid, please let me know.

Re: Menswear

• We bought FI's suit at JcPenney. For the jacket and pants I think we paid like $130. We did have to pay a bit extra because he needed a big and tall suit. He already had a dress shirt and shoes, so that saved us.

• If you don't mind if they aren't matching, you could always just tell them to wear a black suit -- and give whatever restrictions you feel are appropriate.  Macy's is always good for us -- Nordstrom if they're taller and leaner seems to fit better but the sales aren't always quite as amazing.  I've heard people on the boards here talk about Jos Bank a lot -- but the one near us is really, really crappy.

We're renting tuxes from Men's Warehouse bc it was just too hard to coordinate since nobody lived anywhere near each other.  But I would have loved to buy grey suits from Nordstrom for everyone!  Hehe.

346 Invited imageimage 206 Are ready to party!! image 115 Are missing out image 28 Are making me wait Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We're also renting tuxes. We're having an evening traditonal formal wedding so tuxes kinda fit. But from what I understand, Menswear can be one of those last minute things, just be wary of shopping any time after the middle of next month. Might be something to sort out before thanksgiving. ;)
  • ksblumbksblumb member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited October 2012
    My FI and brother (his only attendant) are weraing dark grey suits with blue and white cheked shirts underneath and a navy tie - we are having a casual, family-only wedding. They both needed a new suit anyway, so we purchased from Men's Warehouse.
  • If you're going to buy, I would highly recommend JCP like another girl said. It's going to be your best value. (and my FI works there, so I'm an advocate!) 

However- since we have 8 groomsmen and they live literally all over the place, and because we wanted to do tuxes over suits, we ended up renting from Men's Wearhouse. Unfortunately for us, my FI is tall and thin, so he opted for the only slim-fit tux they offer... which happens to be Vera Wang Black. Total cost came to $200/rental, and thats WITH a $40 off coupon since we got BM dresses at DB (all stop to gasp)... BUT we decided to have his mom make the pocket squares (-$10) and to let them wear their own black dress shoes (-$20) so the final rental cost with taxes and cleaning fee comes to around $170. 
  • our guys are wearing tuxes.  a few already own them, and FI bought his (which i thought was a little silly, but he's sorta particular, and I guess I'm never going to wear my dress again either!), but the other guys will rent.  i don't care if they're all matching as long as they're just a basic black tux (not worrying about them all being the same type of lapel or anything like that). 
  • My FI and his guys all bought grey Calvin Klein suits from Macy's.  We found out about a pre-sale that made them 20% off and then my parents opened a Macy's card and put all of the suits on that card, which gave us another 20% off.  Suits ended up costing each guy about $180 (they'll pay us and we'll pay off my parents' Macy's card).  It was a bit of a logisitcal challenge initially, but FI really wanted suits.  Now that they're all coming in, I'm really happy we went that route.  And all the guys will be spending about the same amount as a rental and they'll have something nice to wear for years to come. 

As for how we actually did it - we just got every guy's suit jacket size and placed the order.  It didn't matter that they didn't all live in the same place because with Macy's they will ship the suits to different addresses and they can always return them to the store for a different size, so as long as you give yourself enough lead time it shouldn't be too difficult.  
  • My FI got his suit from Kohl's for about $170. It fits him so well he doesn't even need tailoring! His brother is his only groomsman and we're just going to have him wear a suit he already owns (his wedding was last October so he has a couple to choose from). We're not too concerned about matching, we just want people to look neat.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We are having everyone rent tuxes from Saavi. Pretty reasonably priced to rent. We are having a more formal evening wedding so we just really wanted all the guys to match.

However, if you want to buy suits, I highly recommend Macy's. FI wears a suit every day to work and buys most of his suits from there. They have pretty good sales and he has found their suits to be higher quality in general so they last longer.
  • Wow, thanks all. FI is on vacation next week so he is sorting it all out then. I think we are going with suits, which is fine with me. But at least I have a couple of tips to give him now. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards