January 2013 Weddings

New to the board - Help!

Hi ladies,

So, we don't have an official date yet for the wedding, but we are seriously looking at January. We live in Oregon, the Willamette Valley, and if you don't already know, it rains a LOT here, but generally very little snow....The mean temperature for the month is between 42 and 52. There is a covered bridge we were thinking of having the ceremony at, and then the reception at a nice restaurant here in town. We have other things we want to spend money on instead of an expensive wedding; our guest list will be relatively small (about 35 people) and therefore most indoor venues that combine a reception and ceremony area are way out of our price range.

Is it silly to plan an outdoor ceremony (under a covered bridge) with an indoor reception? I am just wondering if it is too much to ask from our guests (which are only close family and friends).

Thanks for your help!

Re: New to the board - Help!

• I don't think it's silly, I think that sounds lovely!

I would, however, make sure that I made whatever accommodations I could make/make it as convenient as possible.  For example, is it easy to get from the ceremony location to the reception location?  It would be nice if you could arrange transportation.  If you want people to go to a nice restaurant after, then is the outdoor location amenable to high heels and nice shoes? Or would it be muddy?  Would the walk to the ceremony location be covered as well?  People won't want to change, and people won't feel like partying if they're in nice clothes but are wet and muddy.  Just make sure that the two are appropriate and tie in together.  Casual and a little mud-friendly for both venues? Or a little more formal and nice attire?

That's what I think anyway!  GL!

346 Invited imageimage 206 Are ready to party!! image 115 Are missing out image 28 Are making me wait Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think that sounds awesome, I'd suggest patio heaters to make sure people are comfortable though, otherwise it sounds fantastic!  I'm a big fan of small weddings :)
  • I love the idea of a small wedding. But at that time of the year, you can bank on it raining, or having rained. If you wear a long dress, outside, it will get dirty! Make sure to take pictures before you do a lot of walking around. Get your bridesmaids to lift your dress while you walk. 
    I know it sounds idyllic, but maybe a nice cabin with a glass wall for a backdrop would be a little cozier for your guests and still keep the outdoors a beautiful backdrop. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm assuming this bridge isn't used regularly, so traffic wouldn't be an issue, right?  What's parking like near it?  I'm guessing you'd have 10-20 cars, is there room nearby for all of them to be legally parked?

It sounds lovely, just make sure you work out all the logistics.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Daisypath Graduation tickers
  • Sounds super romantic
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thank you everyone! We are still tossing around ideas at this point and trying to work out the logistics. :) I appreciate all of your help!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards