January 2013 Weddings

Tips

What is a good tip for a florist and photographer?  20%? 

Speaking of tips, also wanted to ask the Newlywed brides for any suggestions for us future brides...: )
God is Faithful!

Re: Tips

• Our florist owns her business, so we did not tip her. But she also did none of the setup. We picked up the flowers from her to save money.

We only tipped our photographer $50 which when I sat down to look at the percentages seems really low, but I can't imagine tipping our photographer the prescribed 15-20%. That would be over $250. I liked our photographer, don't get me wrong, but that would be like $70 an hour on top of his regular salary.

My advice is appoint someone else who in in charge of everything and knows everything you want done. I did not delegate early enough and things left undone. Kind bothered me, but I finally figured out that no one else cared. Whether you're hiring a day-of coordinator or just have a good friend who will man the battlefield for you, delegate.

Also, don't ask children involved in custody battles to be in your wedding. SIL and her boyfriend missed the entire reception because they had to drive 125 miles to meet the mother of our flower girls to drop them off. and she was 45 minutes late to meet them.
  • I didn't tip our florist or photographer as they were the business owners and set their own prices.  I did leave a $20 tip for the floral deliveryperson at the reception site.

As far as personal tips, I'd recommend prioritizing - start with the most important things to you and double check that they will go as you want them to.  If other less important things fall by the wayside you won't mind as much.  Personally, I wish I'd called our DJ the week of the wedding and spoken or met with him about our desired reception vibe and timeline.  He had a website set up for us to input our music "likes" and "loves" and our timeline but somehow it didn't quite translate and he ended up asking us about the timeline a lot during the reception.  He played all of the music we'd requested but sort of clumped it all at the beginning and then things got really 'clubby' towards the end which wasn't what we'd wanted (we had a lot of older guests and the music was too loud for them, we'd imagined more old classics but he didn't play any beyond the specific requests we'd put in) - I guess we just thought he'd see our likes and play similar things (music appealing to the majority of our crowd who were older, rather than the top 40 stuff w/ less tasteful lyrics).  So basically, don't assume that others will picture what you're picturing, lay it out for them.
  • Ok thanks Ladies!  Def helpful!  : )
    God is Faithful!
  • Oh and CONGRATULATIONS!!!  : D
    God is Faithful!
  • If yours did a great job you can always offer a token of your appreciation. (Note: Non-monetary thank-yous like professional photos of the wedding for the planner's portfolio can go a long way too.) Approximately 50 percent of couples do tip their planners -- typically those with more opulent weddings.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards