January 2013 Weddings

Negotiation Strategies?

Hey Ladies,
I'm super excited to be among the January Brides. As we all know, we're getting married in the off-season and I was wondering how or if you use this as a bargining chip with your vendors and, if so, how you bring it up? 
I'm definitely a bride that values a good deal, but I don't want to offend anyone or anything, especially a photographer or baker. 
Any tips? 
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Negotiation Strategies?

• I typically just ask if they offer any discounts for off-season weddings (mine is also on a Sunday afternoon, so I ask if they offer discounts for non-evening and not-Saturday weddings, too).  Some people say yes, some people don't; some even already have it set up in their pricing structure.  Nobody should be offended; it's a pretty common request. 
  • my venue already had it built into their pricing structure that off season weddings are cheaper, so i didn't have to negotiate there.  with photographers i've found that several of them have just come right out and offered between 10% and 25% off once they hear that it's a winter wedding.  with the photographers that didn't offer it (my top pick, unfortunately), i'll be honest, i haven't had the guts to ask her for a discount.  i really respect her as a professional and artist and don't want to offend, even though i know it's silly and there's no harm in asking!  i think you should just ask if they have any winter discounts available.   the worst they can say is no.  but like i said, i'm not even following my own advice, so i know it's hard! 

• A lot of my vendors have offered discounts up front, mostly because they're excited to have any business at all in the winter! I don't think you'll have to bring it up, but I DID keep it in mind if I thought a vendor was charging too much. For example, one venue kept jacking up the price because we were only inviting 60 people... when their prices went well beyond our budget, I had to tell her I had changed my mind. It pained me because I loved the place, but c'mon: a Sunday brunch wedding in January for 60 people should not be breaking my bank!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm getting married in Costa Rica, and January is summer here. It has the best weather and all the kids are out of school... so it's high season for us! I researched vendors before talking to them, then asked a lot of detailed questions about pricing, what's included, discounts, etc. People tend to do things more last minute around here, so most are pretty happy to book something and receive at least a deposit so far in advance, so they've been pretty accomodating. If you go in knowing what you want and ask nicely, people are usually willing to try to help you out.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards