Ohio-Columbus
Options

Accutane

Has anyone here ever been on or every considered Accutane treatment for acne?
I recently found out I can no longer be on a hormonal birth control (family history stuff), but they main reason I've been on it is to control my face.  I'm lucky that my acne is not wide spread, but I do get very painful pop ups - just enough that I qualify for Accutane.

However, this stuff is crazy!  You have to get blood work done quite often before and during treatment (4-6 months), and there are many potential side effects (Serious depression, liver concerns).
The big benefit though is after your treatment, you are permanently 'cured' of acne (which is big for me as my mom still suffers from painful acne at 50, and I'm pretty sure that's going to be me).

Anywho - any gals out there that have used or considered this stuff???

Re: Accutane

• Options
    edited December 2011
    No I have never used it, but suffered with acne in my teens. Try using ProActive or one of the other products at the store. I really like the Neutrogena Advanced Solutions Acne Mark Fading Peel. It really does work, the only thing is that you have to be diligent and follow the directions using it 3x a week or so. It may not be a permanent fix, but should help your skin for your wedding day. Don't worry, everyone is beautiful on their wedding day.
  • Options
    Brit12Brit12 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I've never tried or considered Accutane, but perhaps trying other options first would be best, considering all that is involved wih Accutane?  I had very painful blister-like acne pop up 2 years ago (never really suffered much as a kid). They literally hurt just being there, without moving or touching them or anything. I tried ProActive thinking there's no way it would work (no over the counter washes or meds did, and some made it worse). But within a week or two they were pretty much gone, and after a month I was totally healed.

My Aunt suffers from bad painful acne also, always has. ProActive didn't work so well for her, but she recently tried the advanced version (I guess they don't advertise it but it's available on their website) and she said it cleared it up right away.

I guess I would be too nervous to try the Accutane right off, without trying other stuff.
  • Options
    BCsGalBCsGal member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

When I was a teenager,  I used Accutane.  I wouldn't say it cured my acne, but it got a lot, lot better, but I will every so often still  have some breakouts, nothing major though.  My dermatologist  made me get on birth control (I wasnt even sexually active) becaues of the chance of birth defects if you were to get pregnant.  I remember having to get blood drawn like every 6 weeks or so, but that might of just been my dr's policy, not everyone's.  I had no problem with depression or anything. If anything, I felt a lot better because my skin was clearing up!  I would agree that you should try other prescriptions, like creams or other things, if you haven't already, before accutane.  It is pretty serious stuff, and I tried a lot of other prescription treatments before settling on accutane.  Good luck!

Christina & Brandon - August 7, 2010 Anniversary
    My Planning Bio | My Married Bio | FOR SALE!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I used Accutane as a teenager as well and I really really would not recommend it if it is at all possible not to use it. It did slightly help my face while using it, but once I quit treatment my face would break out just as it had before using it. The worst part about it is the side effects. While using it, you can't tan, get your eyebrows waxed and other things like that. After using it, I still have troubles with my skin when it comes to being in the sun or getting my eyebrows done. It has also been almost 8 years since. I also had some minor health issues during it. My sister also took it and she had to quit early because of some bad side effects involving her heart. Basically for all the bad there just is not enough good to justify.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    that seems like a pretty strong treatments for what seems to be minor acne in your case...I've always looked at accutane as a last resort kind of thing. i've had acne for over 12 years.   my sister did it and it worked, but wow the side effects were crazy.  It differs from person to person but  i could never do it.  I went on retin a micro and solodyn for a 6 months or so, then switched from solodyn to doryx anitbiotic 150mg for the past 6 months and my skin has drastically improved.  I am starting a round of chemical peels which are suppossed to help alot by reducing breakouts even more and making my skin more even.  I would recommend trying a combination on antibiotics and topical treatment (like retina) before going the accutane route.
  • Options
    futuresharpsfuturesharps member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I use pro active and love it.  It is great! I would recommend it to any one.  I have used for over a year and just dont want to give it up bc my face has stayed clear for that long with it. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My sister used it and she had to have all of the blood work and everything else that came with taking it. Her doctor also told her not to drink while on it. My sis recommended that I try it, but I like to drink a glass of wine or beer at night (we brew beer), so I didn't really want to chance it. I also have painful acne which just really started during the last few months and no over the counter cleansers or medicines have really helped. I went to my dermatologist and he put me on Ziana and Solodyn. I've only been using them for about a week now, and haven't really had a big improvement yet, but he said that it would take a little bit of time for them to work.
  • Options
    AmberM4AmberM4 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree that you should start with a good regimen of topical and oral medication, but if those aren't working, don't be too scared of the Accutane.  Especially if you are starting to have scarring - You want to be aggressive!  I have seen patients who put it off because of fear or because of the 6 months of inconvenience, but in the end they are very glad they did it.

The government is the one requiring 2 forms of birth control and blood tests, so this will be the same at any doctor.  The main side effect is dry, sensitive skin and mucous membranes (I would actually say it's a good thing to the person on here that they couldn't go tanning and had to wear sunscreen!)  The depression thing is controversial the way I understand it, but I won't go into it here.  And you will be closely monitored for blood count, lipids, and liver - which are reversible if you start to have an issue.

It's up to you and your dermatologist in the end... And the 6 months of treatment probably won't be especially pleasant.. But I just wanted to put another point of view on here.  It's the last step, but if you do get to that point, just don't dimiss the idea too quickly!
  • Options
    89874608987460 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Forget the Accutane.  Go to Dr. Cole-Sedivy at Monarch health.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards