Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul
Options

colors and florists

About to start my first florist consultations! I am 99% sure on my colors--pink, yellow, and orange, with either a white or light green accent. I keep going back to those colors, so that must be their the ones I should go with, right? Two questions. First, what should I bring with to a floral consult? I'm meeting with Jennifer and Luna Vinca, someone at Apple Blossom, and someone at Bachman's (any feedback on any of those vendors?). Any tips? I'm planning on telling them I have a smaller budget than I really do and I'm planning on having pictures of bouquets I like on my phone. I'm excited but nervous!

Second, I like the idea of having pink BM dresses. My FI is concerned about this because we want the guys to match and he does NOT want to wear a pink tie and would prefer that the other guys don't wear pink ties. I'm thinking that they could just wear black tuxes and ties and then have a pink flower boutoniere? Just when you think you finally have YOUR ideas figured out, he has to throw a wrench in it! :-) I just don't want them to wear orange or yellow because I'm not really a fan of large articles of clothing in those colors. Thoughts?

Re: colors and florists

• Options
    Bring photos of inspiration bouquets, arrangements.  One thing I wasn't aware of going into my floral appointments is that you don't get a mock-up unless you pay for one-which is the same price as the real deal.  Those pictures will help to clarify for your florist exactly what kind of look you're going for.  

You might also want to bring a swatch of your bridesmaids dress color or another colors you using so they have a solid idea of your color scheme/hues.  

I think a pink boutonniere is a good compromise, if he's unwilling to have his groomsmen wear pink vests or ties.  Silver would be a good color to go with pink for the vests/ties. 
    "All that I'm after is a lifetime of laughter, as long as I'm laughing with you"
    Photobucket
    Anniversary
    Photobucket
    My Crafting Blog
    Married Bio
  • Options
    wittyschaffywittyschaffy member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited July 2012
    Yeah, I always feel bad for the guys who have to wear pink.  :)  I think a pink flower is a nice compromise. 

As far as meeting with a florist, bring full size pictures of idea bouquets, centerpieces, etc so that your vendor can keep them and use them as they put together their quote.  Even if you don't have a perfect example, it doesn't hurt to bring in a few pics and say "I like the way they wrapped the stems in this one, I like the colors of this one, I like the shape of this one" etc.  You can always ask to see examples of their past work.  I know my florist kept a scrapbook of sorts with weddings he'd done before so I could flip through them and get an idea of how his arrangements looked.
  • Options
    Our color is Sangria, so we are having the guys wear black tuxes, black vests with a sangria tie and pocket square, it looks so classy! I kind of think whole matching vest thing looks a little too prom.
    Sinisa & Debbie. Joined together in Friendship- united Forever in Love. Proud Parents to : Luca 3-17-2008 & Marco 1-27-2012. Mommy and Daddy are getting Married on August 19th, 2012! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My sister went with Bachmanns as a last minute deal after her other floriest fell through last May and she was very happy with them.  Plus they were very reasonably priced, and gave her great ideas and took in account of what she wanted.
    My colors are on coral and tangerine, and FI was concerned about the pink too, but he decided on gray tux/vest for the groomsman so were planning on sticking with a coral pocket square (if we need one) to match the BM dresses, and then work with orange flowers.  
    Good luck, let us know how it goes.  
    June 2013 Sig Challenge - Cake
  • Options
    I agree with the PP's  I'll just add that know exactly what you like about the bouquets.  You may not find one bouquet that encompasses everything you love, but if you can point out specific things that you love, they should be able to run with those idea.  I have no eperiences with those florists.  GL, though!  Have fun!

So In Love

Josh and Renata's Wedding

Planning Bio

• Options
    I agree with PP bring examples of what you want as far as bouquets and centerpieces, ideas of flowers that you like, and know your budget. Also be prepared to say no to some things they will ask you about for ex: bouts, unity candle flowers, etc florists of course want you to have flowers everywhere! I originally had a contract with Appleblossom but got out of it PM me if you want any details. As part of getting out of the contract we agreed to posting no negative reviews about them. We ended up using Bachmans on Lyndale and LOVED them. We found them to be flexible and easy to work with. We also found them to be less expensive than some of the smaller florists. Plus with some of the smaller florists we knew they bought only the flowers that they needed for that week and in some cases needed contingency plans for if the flowers came in and weren't perfect. When we asked Bachmans about that kind of scenario they looked at us like we were crazy and they said, "then we get more flowers.". They did a phenomenal job for our wedding and I'd be happy to send you pics of our bouquets, arrangements, and centerpieces if you want. We used all green and white hydrangeas with ivory roses. Good luck and also be aware that some florists will offer a small discount if you sign a contract with them the day of your consultation.
  • Options
    <div>I sent you a PM.</div><div>
    </div>In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_colors-and-florists?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:81Discussion:1e285e31-5aeb-4b4c-9ffa-8d53722af66bPost:4f54e385-f1c0-4b92-8423-07fcbebacf18">Re:colors and florists</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree with PP bring examples of what you want as far as bouquets and centerpieces, ideas of flowers that you like, and know your budget. Also be prepared to say no to some things they will ask you about for ex: bouts, unity candle flowers, etc florists of course want you to have flowers everywhere! I originally had a contract with Appleblossom but got out of it PM me if you want any details. As part of getting out of the contract we agreed to posting no negative reviews about them. We ended up using Bachmans on Lyndale and LOVED them. We found them to be flexible and easy to work with. We also found them to be less expensive than some of the smaller florists. Plus with some of the smaller florists we knew they bought only the flowers that they needed for that week and in some cases needed contingency plans for if the flowers came in and weren't perfect. When we asked Bachmans about that kind of scenario they looked at us like we were crazy and they said, "then we get more flowers.". They did a phenomenal job for our wedding and I'd be happy to send you pics of our bouquets, arrangements, and centerpieces if you want. We used all green and white hydrangeas with ivory roses. Good luck and also be aware that some florists will offer a small discount if you sign a contract with them the day of your consultation.
    Posted by srdavis21[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    Thanks for the input everyone! I'm finding some cheaper ways for the BMs to get dresses, so I may be rethinking my colors and eliminating pink as a major color and keeping it as an accent. I like the tangerine idea, and may decide to make red a more focused color. I don't want to clash with Solera's table decor (it's provided), either. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_minnesota-minneapolis-st-paul_colors-and-florists?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:81Discussion:1e285e31-5aeb-4b4c-9ffa-8d53722af66bPost:de0b0a5f-0f64-4a43-aac8-3b9a5f0b279b">colors and florists</a>:
    [QUOTE]About to start my first florist consultations! I am 99% sure on my colors--pink, yellow, and orange, with either a white or light green accent. I keep going back to those colors, so that must be their the ones I should go with, right? Two questions. First, what should I bring with to a floral consult? <strong>I'm meeting with Jennifer and Luna Vinca, someone at Apple Blossom, and someone at Bachman's (any feedback on any of those vendors?)</strong>. Any tips? I'm planning on telling them I have a smaller budget than I really do and I'm planning on having pictures of bouquets I like on my phone. I'm excited but nervous! Second, I like the idea of having pink BM dresses. My FI is concerned about this because we want the guys to match and he does NOT want to wear a pink tie and would prefer that the other guys don't wear pink ties. I'm thinking that they could just wear black tuxes and ties and then have a pink flower boutoniere? Just when you think you finally have YOUR ideas figured out, he has to throw a wrench in it! :-) I just don't want them to wear orange or yellow because I'm not really a fan of large articles of clothing in those colors. Thoughts?
    Posted by caitydid81[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>We used Bachman's for our flowers and they were GORGEOUS!  Our photographer even commented that they were the prettiest flowers he'd ever seen.  We used Lynne and she was awesome, even when I TOTALLY changed my mind and had to start at square one 3 months out.  I was so impressed with them.  Good luck to you!

</div>
    PersonalMilestone
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards