Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul

I need some advice

Hello! I am newly engaged and can't wait to start planning my dream day. I have a couple questions though. I wanna get married in the Minneapolis Area, and would like to know if there are any reception places that would let me bring the food instead of catering? I have looked at certain caterers and haven't really found anything that I absolutely had to have. Also, I am getting married in September so what would some color ideas be? I would like Champagne to be one of my colors and now I just need a more vibrant color that won't look too tacky. Any help would be great!

Re: I need some advice

• LittleSweetieLittleSweetie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The only place you'll be able to bring your own food versus having a licensed caterer is in your own backyard.  There are too many liability issues with self-catering if you're not licensed, and most (if not all) venues don't want to deal with that.

What caterers have you looked into?  Maybe we could help you hone your search to find the right one for you and your FI.

(I'd recommend looking at the Wedding Colors thread or starting a new post about your colors so the two topics get the attention they deserve!)
    Our big girl, Cora, and our sneaky kitty, Roxy

Visit The Nest!Visit The Nest!
  • edited December 2011
    You could also try a city park. You can reserve the picnic areas at most Minneapolis parks (not sure about St Paul) and bring whatever food you want. We're planning on having a day after barbeque like that. 
  • hkieslinghkiesling member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto on the food.

For colors, I always like a deep purple with champaigne, and that could easily be very "fallish."  That said, you don't have to limit yourself to traditional fall colors (although I did the whole orange, brown, red thing and loved it). 
  • edited December 2011
    I agree about the catering. Most places require you to have a caterer that is licensed. 

As for colors - I got married 9/26 and my colors were a mango orange and raspberry pink.  Even though it was almost October, the day was very warm and we got a few of the vendors thanking us to choosing different colors so they weren't all working with fall colors.
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you! Now I have another question, so say I find a caterer but the place I wanna do the reception has a caterer that does the events...do i have to use their caterer or can i use my own?
  • edited December 2011
    That differs from venue to venue. If bringing your own caterer is important for you, I would include that question when you're searching for a reception venue.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011

There's the liabiliity issue, but there's also the issue of Do you REALLY want your guests to WORK at your wedding or do you want them to be there relaxed and having a GREAT time?  Asking your friends/family to do anything involving the food is asking them to WORK at the wedding.  I know this because I've done this for a friend on their family farm wedding in the middle of a 110 degree day in the shade with the power going out every other minute having to run under their 1800's farm house to reset the breaker...  and not only is it messy, you're too busy working to make sure the food is SAFE to eat and restocked instead of just lining up at the buffet for a plate of food and someone else to pick it up/buss tables. 

That said...  Check out Divine Swine catering or Classic Catering...  If you find a venue with a set caterer or catering list, chances are you'll be required to use them.  OTOH, there are still venues out there that will allow you to bring in any outside licensed caterer (Stillwater Boat & Packet, Little Log House Pioneer Village, Community Centers, etc.)...  IF you're still set on bringing in whomever you want, then check with your church about using their gathering hall since they're exempt from the state law on bringing food in yourself. 

Good luck!

• edited December 2011

Hey thanks all for the advice. As far as the whole having people work at my wedding, they offered that's why I wanna do it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards