Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul
Options

NWR - Laptop Brand Recs

Hey ladies! 

FI & I need to get a new laptop.  We've had our current laptop, a Toshiba Satellite, for over 5 years.  We haven't had any issues with it at all & it still works pretty good, but it's getting slow.  I got an external hard drive & that seems to be helping, but not a whole lot.  I use our computer daily & need something that works well for multitasking, as I'm usually in a few programs at once, toggling between them. 

Do any of you have any brand recs for us to look into?  What do you have that you love or don't love?

TIA ladies!  = ) 

Re: NWR - Laptop Brand Recs

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I did some research also when we got ours 6 months ago.  We got an HP (don't remember exactly which one) from Best Buy.  When I did my research...I heard to NOT get a Dell.  Hope that helps, a little.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My FI and I just got Dell laptops. We haven't had any issues with them. I would say for multitasking you probably want to look for an Intel i3 processor. My FI got that and he is always trying to run multiple programs at once and it can keep up. I got the i5 and for me I don't know that it was worth the extra money but I thought it would work the best for the longest. I had an IBM prior to the Dell and it was a lot more sturdy but they are more expensive too.

Most laptops have 4GB RAM, I don't think you would want to go lower than that either, that is where your ability to run multiple things comes in I believe. Then past that it just become what do you want it to do, play BluRays ($$) or just basic home computing. I don't know if your FI games at all but that can increase the cost also to improve the graphic cards and such.

My FI got the Inspiron 15R which is a good size and has the side number pad. I ended up getting the 17R which I feel is too large if you like to take it with you places but it is awesome for working on it. I just can't get a cute purse bag to hold it because it is way too large for all of them!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Well the best of the best in my opinion is a Mac. 
    But, I know that for certain businesses it's hard to have a Mac, and after my Mac got broken, I decided to get a Windows. I got an Asus, and I love it. I had multiple friends that work at different Best Buys tell me that those are their favorite computers. They are a newer name, which means lower priced! I haven't had any problems with it and its really high quality. The makers used to fix computers for a living, and decided to expand.
    And I would never buy a Dell again. It was a requirement for business at MNSU, and I hate it. I've had to get it fixed multiple times and I've said over and over I am throwing it out the window once I graduate.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Another thing to check is to see if you can get any student discounts or discounts through your work. My work offers discounts through Dell, HP and Apple. Also I know Apple has a student discount. The thing with the Apple laptops that I have noticed is you are paying double for the same parameters as a Windows based machine. They seem to be good computers I just can't stomach paying double for the same thing. I think Windows 7 is a lot like the MAC operating system now in functionality and appearance.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have had two Dells and loved them both. My first is still running fine 6 years later but slowed down. H knows a ton about computers (Computer Systems Engineer) and did the research and bought me another Dell for my birthday last summer. Its a desktop replacement laptop so its not an portable like EmilyCMN mentioned (my screen is 17 ins and it has the expandable number pad) but its awesome for what I need. It also has Windows 7 operating system which is great for multitasking.

If you email me what you are looking to do with/use your computer for I can have him research and make a pick for you guys. :)
  • Options
    jennipea382jennipea382 member
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    My sister, dad and I all had Sony Vaios and never had any major problems with them. Mine eventually got slow and outdated so I went looking for another - and ended up with a Samsung! I never would have expected buying a Samsung laptop but I love it!

My sister works at the Best Buy corporate office and has heard all sorts of complaints about computers. The ones with the most complaints are Dell and Gateway. The ones with the least complaints are Sony and Toshiba. HP is ok, but I guess they need to be sent out for just about any problem instead of fixing it in the store.

I also agree with PP about Macs.. not bad computers but I feel they are way overpriced! The only reason I'd consider a Mac over a PC is the fact that they get less viruses, though I rarely get one anyways.

So my suggestions are Samsung, Sony or Toshiba :-)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    March 2013 March siggy challenge - wedding preview
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Planning Bio
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would and always will (unless you NEED a PC for work or whatever) recommend a Mac. I grew up with PCs and until 4 years ago, had a PC laptop. (never again will I go back to the POS Dells)! I have had my MacBook for 4 years and have not had one huge problem with it. The only thing that is wrong with it is that it's DVD/CD drive doesn't work but that is from something I did and am too lazy to pay to get fixed, lol. Other than that i have had zero problems and I can only begin to list the problems I had with several different PCs. Their operating system is so much more user friendly (and IMO, worth the price) and now that I am using Windows 7 at my summer job, I have realized exactly why Macs are so much easier to use. If you can afford it, I would recommend a Mac 1000 times over!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I love my MacBook Pro (and I was NOT an Apple person.) love love love.

Dell laptops are gifts from the devil.   I had a Toshiba in college, too, and it sucked a lot. But that was 8 years ago, and I think they have a better rep now.
  • Options
    ogrady88ogrady88 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I will probably be an HP laptop person for life.  I've owned two and haven't ever had any problems with them. FI has a Mac, which he loves, but definitely likes PCs for some things and the Mac for others. That said, I would say that the Mac service plan is top of the line, but I too, couldn't stomach paying double.
  • Options
    Bimbi284Bimbi284 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had a Satellite also and it died a slow, horrible death last year....right before school started. Awesome timing.

I then did a bit of research with the help of DH and we went with an HP Probook from TigerDirect.com. There is an actual TigerDirect.com B&M store here in Chicago that we went to...otherwise we probably would have bought it online...we love tigerdirect, haha.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards