Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul

Ideas of Engagement Party

Hi!
 My best friend got engaged a couple months ago!. I am planning an engagment party for her in Early August. We are think toby Keiths... I have NEVER planned one of these.... How does it normally run? Any ideas or thoughts would be great!

On a side note i plan to make the invites for it myself......

We are debating on a friday or saturday....does it matter?

Also do people buy gifts or anything to this type of event? Or is it just hanging out and congratuating the couple?

Re: Ideas of Engagement Party

• aligrossaligross member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    When FI's aunt was thinking about throwing us an engagement party she really wanted to throw us a grown up type cocktail party - it sounded awesome to both of us becuase we haven't really participated in one. But I think in the end you have to do whatever you are all comfortable with! (I know that's not much help)

There have been engagement parties that we have gone to where it's kind of hinted at that you bring a gift but also a couple that have stated pretty much "just bring yourself!"

As far as the Friday/Saturday night option I would probe the important people who you would like to be in attendence to see what their best option is and just remember you can't always please everyone!
  • graysquirrelgraysquirrel member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    All of the engagement parties I've ever been to were really informal events where the couple just invited people out to a bar or to their home for cake. There were never any gifts involved. However, since you are throwing it for your friend, some people may choose to give some. I wouldn't mention gifts at all and just see how things end up happening with that. 

I agree with Annie about probing for info. See what people's schedules are like and then pick a date. Good luck!
    Photobucket
  • FutureMrsS13FutureMrsS13 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you ladies!!

We are planning to have it in August of this year! Just something low key and fun! nd thinking of Toby Keiths actually and reserving a room :)

She been my best friend since 1st grade :)
  • edited December 2011
    I don't think you should expect people to bring gifts. They already have to get a gift for the wedding and if they're invited to the shower or bach party, gifts for those as well.
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards